Safari, Chrome etc. Extension 2.14.0 Broken - Edited title.

Options

Comments

• Finlander
    Finlander
    Community Member
    Options

Turning the extension off, then on again, seems to have fixed it for me. I tried this yesterday (and it didn't help then), so I'm guessing some kind of potential temp fix has been already applied so that reinitializing the connection helps. Thanks!

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I never had any issues with 2.14.0 in Chrome or Firefox, just Safari. And the workaround of turning off the shared lock state worked to get 2.14.0 working with Safari too.

1P Folks: Can you please add a giant note that shows up at the top of the macOS App Store release notes to remind us to turn shared lock state back on with the next release?

P.S. Is there a way to bookmark a specific post in this forum?

• dexter101
    dexter101
    Community Member
    Options

having bunch of issue with this new version as well

None of the support troubleshooting steps helped.
    Very upsetting that 1password would release such a buggy production version.

• greenpig
    greenpig
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Since upgrading 1Password for Safari to version 2.14.0 and Ventura to 13.5.1, I'm unable to use Touch ID or Apple Watch to unlock 1Password in Safari. They work in other browsers, and I can use them to unlock the 1Password app itself (as well as the Macs themselves), but in Safari I have to type the master password in full to unlock 1Password. This happens on an Apple M2 Pro Mac mini and a 16" M1 MacBook Pro.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
    Extension Version: 2.14.0
    OS Version: Ventura 13.5.1
    Browser: Safari 16.6

• WilburPost
    WilburPost
    Community Member
    Options

I contacted 1Password support and they suggested the following that worked for me:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click "Settings".
    2. In the "General" section, turn off "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    4. Follow the on-screen prompts to unlock 1Password in the browser.

I don't know what "Integrate with 1Password app" does, but I'm not sure I need it.

• greenpig
    greenpig
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I found a discussion of this on the Beta and Prerelease board (for some reason): https://1password.community/discussion/141777/safari-extension-2-14-0-broken

So you can close this.

• I've merged it in @greenpig :)

• greenpig
    greenpig
    Community Member
    Options

To follow up, I had success by combining the methods described here.

1. Browser-bar icon -> Settings -> General -> turn off "integrate with 1Password app"
    2. Quit Safari and quit 1Password
    3. Reopen Safari. Browser-bar icon -> Manage Extension -> turn off the extension. Quit Safari.
    4. Reopen Safari. Settings -> Extensions, and turn it back on.
    5. Repeat #1 and this time turn integration back on.

I'm not sure if it was really necessary to quit and reopen all the apps, but this reestablished biometrics on both my computers.

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I've tried all of the aforementioned solutions but 1Password for Safari 2.14.0 just hangs, returning the same oops error page with two buttons to reload or contact support. I also noticed that when I disable integration from the Settings page (to attempt app-less usage), the extension's vault authentication page does load, so I enter my vault password and it just hangs. The extension's background console shows the same two errors as when integration is enabled:

[Error] 15:04:10.531UnknownError: Cannot inject key into script value
        i (background.js:2:2394192)
    [Error] 15:04:10.576Unhandled Promise Rejection: AbortError: IDBTransaction will abort due to uncaught exception in an event handler
        o (background.js:2:2393731) 

FWIW, I did a little tracing of the errors and there appears to be some kind of type error which bubbles up as an unhandled exception error:

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@sbauer I simply removed the 2.14.0 copy of 1Password for Safari from the Applications folder and then moved the 2.13.0 one into its place -- macOS prompted for the usual administrative authentication, of course. But the second half of the instructions that @ag_tommy posted above for 2.14.0 also worked for me.

• deegirl825
    deegirl825
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello, recently I have been having occasional web sites (Celebrity, RCCL) where the 1Password browser fill functionality would not work. However as of today it apparently will not work for any web site. I have tried steps that I saw elsewhere to quit both 1Password and Safari, and it still does not work. I appreciate any assistance, thank you!

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9
    Extension Version: 2.14.0
    OS Version: Mac Ventura 13.0.1
    Browser: Safari v16.1

• @deegirl825

Sorry for the additional tag. I see you are using macOS 13.01. I would highly encourage you to update all things Apple if you have not done so. 13.5.1 is available.

 Apple Support - Keep your Mac up to date, - Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, - Update your Apple Watch

• deegirl825
    deegirl825
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I did the update and followed what seems to be workaround instructions to not integrate with the app and browser extension is working for some (not all) sites. Progress I guess!

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Options

Sigh...none of the options above have worked for me with Safari. I've tried disabling and also reinstalling...no joy 😥

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I was able to get the extension to work once upon reboot, but it was no longer connected to the menubar item in that an unlock with the extension left the menubar 1P locked.

In addition, once Safari was closed and relaunched, the "Oops..." error reasserted itself and nothing worked :-/

• cschombu
    cschombu
    Community Member
    Options

Since ag_tommy confirmed that the "1Password for Safari.app" 2.14 is broken, I simply went into MAC OS Time Machine and restored 2.13, restarted Safari, and now all is well again.

Assuming there is no issue using 2.13 until a fix is available?

Easy workaround...

• Finlander
    Finlander
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks @cschombu for the TimeMachine suggestion! Since this issue doesn't seem to have a quick fix, I also went to retrieve 2.13 from TimeMachine history, unpacked it, locked out the updates URL, deleted the installed 2.14, and "loaded unpacked" 2.13. Now it works again. I'm surprised @1Password hasn't rolled 2.14 update back, but maybe this problem only plagues a subset of the users for some reason.

The 2.14 problem was also exhibiting a strange behavior where it would work fine when I started work in the morning (my MacBook wasn't off, just screen off, sleeping), but then an hour or two later the error would return. Perhaps some buffer filled? Or perhaps some other program/extension/usage pattern interacted with it so that it would lock up again. Perhaps this is why the bug got past testing/QA, maybe it wasn't immediately visible when the release tests were being executed.

• Zeke386
    Zeke386
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue as today (8/21). 1Password for Safari started acting weird a few days ago, didn't think anything of it. Today I started getting the Oops message, after I restarted may 2019 MacBook Pro. Turning off the shared lock state seems to be the fix for me.

• pct196
    pct196
    Community Member
    Options

If your Safari shows no passwords because of this problem check out the linked forum post below. The 1Password folks sent me details on how to fix it.

https://1password.community/discussion/141845/unable-to-fill-into-safari-after-updating-to-macos-ventura#latest

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

from @pct196:

If your Safari shows no passwords because of this problem check out the linked forum post below. The 1Password folks sent me details on how to fix it.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/693892/#Comment_693892

This procedure has remedied 1Password for Safari (without app integration - direct via web) for my setup. Thanks!

I did test re-enabling app integration to see if it works - but it puts 1Password for Safari back in a broken state. So to sum up, disabling integration, signing out, and signing back in to 1Password for Safari direct via web works - but enabling app integration breaks it entirely.

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Could you folks considering pulling 1P for Safari 2.14.0 from the macOS App Store? I downgraded to 2.13.0 and would like to stop being pestered to upgrade to a version I know is broken.

• @BLD

Do you see 2.14.1 available? Can you let me know if it solves the trouble you experienced? I see it is available in Chrome and Safari. One of my colleagues is reporting 2.14.1 is available in Edge too.

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Yes, all good now.

• Thank you very much. @BLD

• ifarlow
    ifarlow
    Community Member
    Options

Working once again via 2.14.1.

• Thanks @ifarlow

• woodyard
    woodyard
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have extension 2.14.2 (via TestFlight), and it's broken in Safari.

• Finlander
    Finlander
    Community Member
    Options

All good also here with 2.14.1 (on Chrome). Thanks!

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member
    Options

I downgraded from the beta 2.14.2 because it was still broken to 2.14.1 in the App Store and while the extension is working again, there's no Touch ID option anymore, I can only type my password in. (Also the eyeball icon to show the password doesn't do anything.)

This discussion has been closed.