1password8 spent around 10 seconds to load item content when the connection is from China

Options
xiaotong
xiaotong
Community Member
edited August 2023 in Android

I'm using 1password8 on Android12. It will get stuck around 10 seconds with black background when I touch and open any item on 1password.

It seems like happened only when I connect to Chinese network, if I connect with VPN or entire offline, the app will show item quickly.

I don't want to connect the VPN or set my mobile phone offline every time I use 1password, can anyone have a look at this issue?

1Password Version: 8.10.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @xiaotong, thanks for writing in and reporting this behavior.

I did some testing with a few different network locations via a VPN. When I initially switched network location I did notice there was a brief delay loading item details opened from the Home tab. However after loading a few more items this delay was gone, and it didn't seem specific to a specific locations, including China.

When you're on a Chinese network, if you open several items do you see the 10 second delay on each or only the first few? Additionally, do you notice this occurs when opening items from a specific tab, such as Home, or Search, but not others?

Thanks again!

• Potatoes
    Potatoes
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I also encountered this situation on Android. When using the network in China, there will be a delay of more than 10 seconds or more when opening any item (any item, not just a few). But this doesn't happen on the computer. Is there any workaround for this? Because this experience is really not very good.

• xiaotong
    xiaotong
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy, thanks for the reply.

In the last month, it happened each time I open any individual item. And yes, this issue occurs on Home, Search, and Items tabs. Additionally, it not only happened when I open item, but also when I open 'Accounts' from setting.

I took a screen record for this issue, if you need, I can send it to you.

Thanks.

• Potatoes
    Potatoes
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy I seem to have found a solution to the slow loading problem. Uncheck "Analyze Usage Information" in "Manage Account" on the mobile phone. After unchecking, there is currently no waiting for tens of seconds. In China, is it because the data will be sent to the 1password server after checking "Analyze usage information", resulting in slow response? (Just a guess). If so, will it cause data insecurity? In addition, it is strange that this situation does not appear on the computer after checking "Analyze usage information". Hope you can check it out, thanks a lot. @ag_timothy

• Potatoes
    Potatoes
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy
    Unfortunately, the above method still has the problem of slow loading, and the above setting is just an illusion. It's not clear to me why there is a rapid loading of data for a while after "Analyze Usage Data" is turned off. But I can be sure that there will be no problem of slow loading after connecting to the Japanese network.

The screenshot below is a test of switching between different networks and on different devices. Unfortunately, slow data loading only occurs on Android phones on Chinese networks.

• Hi @Potatoes, @we7l, @xiaotong, thanks for following up with these reports.

I did some further testing with a VPN to use a Chinese network. Similar to before, the first item I opened from the Home tab took a while to load, but if I opened that item again, or other items, they loaded quickly as expected.

As you're seeing different behavior, I'd like to ask you to reproduce this behavior, then create a diagnostics report from your Android device:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    1. Tap the account or collection icon.
    1. Tap Settings > Help > “Send diagnostics”.
    1. In the diagnostics email, please include a link to this thread ( https://1password.community/discussion/142019/1password8-spent-around-10-seconds-to-load-item-content-when-the-connection-is-from-china ) as well as your username before sending it in.

Let us know when you've had the chance to send in a diagnostics report and thanks again!

• ag_timothy
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks @we7l, it looks like my colleague has followed up with you there. Let us know if there's anything we can help with!

ref: 23888

• Potatoes
    Potatoes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy
    After you switch networks through VPN, is it possible that the cache problem does not recur, so even after switching to a Chinese network, it still loads quickly?

You can try the following to reproduce this issue:
    1. Switch to the Chinese network.
    2. Clear the cache of the 1password application and log in again.
    3. Repeat condition 2 if condition 1 is met.
    Hopefully the above steps can reproduce this problem.

I was also switching to the Japanese network during the above operation. After the data loading was completed, I switched to the Chinese network again. The data could be loaded quickly within a period of time. But after a while the data loaded slowly again.

I hope the above description can help you troubleshoot the problem.

• Thanks @Potatoes, thanks for sharing this.

I tried the steps you listed but still saw the results I previously encountered. After the first item took some time to load, no combination of cache clearing or network switching seemed to reintroduce that long load.

Based on the conversation here, and with others via email, we've filed an issue with the team for further investigation. Thanks for your help in troubleshooting this behavior!

• Thanks for following up with us @we7l.

The investigation is still open but I'm sorry to say we don't have any updates to share at this time.

• Potatoes
    Potatoes
    Community Member
    Options

@we7l @ag_timothy I'd also like to know the progress on this issue. Every time I need to use 1password on my Android phone, I turn on the VPN. Although it is inconvenient, it is the only way to do it.

• Hi @we7l @Potatoes,

The investigation is still open but I'm sorry to say we don't have any updates to share at this time.

-- Brendan

• y3p12o32z
    y3p12o32z
    Community Member
    Options

I was in China last week and also had issues with using 1password on my Android. I can not search or even show the list of items unless I switch to vpn. I otherwise just get a blank. I don't recall if I waited over 10 seconds. This is super annoying when I need to create a new password. I create it, and then I can't access the item just created!

When I turn on the VPN everything works. But using VPN in China is a pita.

• @y3p12o32z

Your frustration is completely understandable. The Development team are still investigating and I've gone ahead and added your case to the tracker.

ref: dev/core/core#23888

• guillow
    guillow
    Community Member
    Options

Wanted to echo the issue. Traveling in China and having inconsistent experience. Right now the only way to use 1password on android is to use VPN. Is there some kind of offline mode I can turn on? Very troublesome to have to manage battery draw and VPN on/off for 1password...

• Dave_1P
    Options

@guillow

Thank you for reporting the issue, I'm sorry for the inconvenience that it's causing. I'm afraid that I don't have another workaround to provide for now aside from using a VPN. I've let the team know the impact that the issue is causing to your use of 1Password and your Android device.

-Dave

• mikuo
    mikuo
    Community Member
    Options

I also encountered the same problem.
    I checked the comment section of the play store and found that many people have the same problem.
    I hope this problem can be solved as soon as possible. This is very important.

• mikuo
    mikuo
    Community Member
    Options

I always thought that 1password was stored offline locally before being synchronized. It seems that things are not as I imagined.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mikuo

I've also passed your report to the team. The team is continuing to investigate the trouble.