1Password not locking upon quit

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Printing records from only one vault.

Comments

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member
    Options

As an aside, I just exported my family member's data from her vault--and for this also, I had to use the Travel Mode workaround. Rrrrrr.

Fun effect: after doing the export in Travel Mode, then turning Travel Mode back off, 1P NO LONGER REQUIRED MY MASTER PASSWORD when I opened the program on the desktop machine where I did the Travel Mode work.

I could quit 1P on the desktop, wait for a few minutes...then open it up with no password at all. All my passwords right there. I was able to repeat this quit/open behavior 3 times, so it was not my imagination. Maybe this has to do with my idle timeout setting of 5 minutes? But I would swear that in the past that quitting 1Password locked it up, regardless of idle timeout setting.

This happened on a Mac running 13.4.1 and 1Password 8.10.13. It did not happen on my iPhone, nor on my ancient laptop running 10.14 Mojave--they remained locked on opening, as expected.

I restarted the desktop machine, and the behavior disappeared.

• @greenday

I've replied to your previous post here, and I've split your new comment about 1Password's lock behaviour into a new thread so that we can discuss it separately.

By default, the 1Password for Mac app will lock when you fully close the app by right-clicking on 1Password's icon in the menu bar and then clicking Quit. If you just close the main window or quit 1Password from the Dock then 1Password will stay running and unlocked in the background until the auto-lock timer is triggered.

Can you tell me the specific steps you took to completely close 1Password on the instances when you noticed that the app was unlocked when you opened the app?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to be recently having problems with this same issue on my MacBook Pro. When I right click the 1Password icon in the menu bar and then hit quit, then go back and hit open the 1Password app it is still in an open state, not in a locked state. The only way to lock the app is by hitting lock in the 1Password browser extension in Safari. This is very troubling from a security point of view as my muscle memory assumes it will work as in the past, and you walk away from your computer with all your passwords exposed! I do have the app set to close automatically after 5 minutes of inactivity, but manually qitting should override this, correct?
    Also, I do not know if it is related, but I notice that multiple copies of the 1Password app have begun recently appearing over time in a session after using the 1password browser extension to enter multiple sites.

• @Neocybersailor

Thank you for writing in. When this happens, if you open the desktop app from your Applications folder then is the desktop app locked or unlocked?

It sounds like the communication between the desktop app and 1Password in the browser has broken down. As a first step, can you try the following:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Applications folder.
    4. Open your web browser.
    5. Right-click on 1Password's icon in Safari's toolbar and click Settings.
    6. Make sure that "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app" is turned on and that you see the green "Connected" dot.

Then right-click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar and click Quit. Does the extension lock?

-Dave

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,
    Followed your instructions multiple times, but 1Password will not quit when quit from the 1password icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen. . It closes the app’s page, but when I hit open afterwords it pops right back up in an unlocked state. It will lock if I quit from either the 1Password icon in the bar at the top of the screen, or quit from the 1Password icon within the Safari browser. It was quitting and locking from the lower menu normally until a couple of days ago. I am using the latest versions of your app and MacBook system software.

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

Also to answer your question - “ When this happens, if you open the desktop app from your Applications folder then is the desktop app locked or unlocked?”

It is an unlocked state when reopens from the applications folder also.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Neocybersailor

Thank you for the reply.

1Password will not quit when quit from the 1password icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen

The macOS menu bar is located at the top of your screen:

Icons that you see at the bottom of the screen are placed in the Dock which is different from the menu bar. Apple has some guides explaining both the menu bar and the Dock here:

Only quitting from the menu bar icon will fully close the 1Password app and stop its background processes. Once the app is fully closed, the app will lock.

When you quit 1Password from the Dock, you're only closing the main window. The background processes continue to run and it's expected behaviour that 1Password will stay unlocked until your auto-lock settings kick in. We keep the background processes active, and unlocked, so that you continue to have access to features like Quick Access and Universal Autofill even if the main window is closed.

If you would like 1Password to fully close, and lock, when you quit the app from the Dock then you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click General.
    5. Turn off "Keep 1Password in the menu bar".

Then try to quit 1Password from the Dock again. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: PB-37255298

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. Apologize for my misuse of user interface terminology but you understood what I was trying to explain. Was this always the case of how locking functions work or is it unique to 1Password 8 (was a long hold out in 1Password 7 until recently)?

• @Neocybersailor

No need to apologize! I'm glad that we're on the same page now. 🙂

1Password 7 did indeed have an option called "Lock when main window is closed", 1Password 8 doesn't yet have this option. For now, you can either turn off the "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" option that I mentioned in my previous post, or you can change your auto-lock settings so that 1Password locks when your Mac is idle for over a minute: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request on your behalf to bring the "Lock when main window is closed" option to 1Password 8. Thank you for the feedback.

-Dave

ref: PB-37256471