Using 1Password 7 alongside 1Password 8

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Can we go back to 1Password 7?.

Comments

• dfz1password
    dfz1password
    Community Member
    Options

Since you've removed the ability to print 1 or more records in a vault in v8, I need v7 to perform this function. I know you've written about this extensively as not a good idea, but I am savvy enough to know how to keep things secure and many of us have good reasons for needing occasional PDF hard copies of our vault records. Though I use v8 family plan in regular practice, I also need to install v7 and give it access to my vaults so I can get printed records. That's all I will use it for. Can I install it in addition to v8?

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @dfz1password! 👋

Thank you for the feedback, I see that my colleague Peter has previously spoken with you regarding your request for a print feature in 1Password 8 here and has passed your comments along to the team internally.

Can I install it in addition to v8?

Although you can theoretically run 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 at the same time I don't recommend it since it can cause issues with things like filling in the browser. Furthermore, with the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. This means that we're no longer actively testing or updating 1Password 7 and you might run into unexpected issues.

-Dave

ref: 35835872

• dfz1password
    dfz1password
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I just need it to be available a few times a year to briefly launch and print a vault or a subset. I have version 8 to do everything else. Assuming the preference settings don't interfere with each other and v7 is not installed in any browsers, and since v7 will be shut down when I'm using v8 so there should be no issues in filling fields in browsers and there should be no unexpected issues to run across since I'll just be printing. Hopefully, you will have implemented a print feature before that starts failing. And that implementation should be a full PDF version of what's on screen, not a tab or comma delimited text file with fields missing.

If it does start causing problems, I suppose I could just install v7 in a virtual machine.

Besides, I think v7 was your best version. The change in development environments for v8 has degraded your user interface, as I pointed out elsewhere here a while back.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@dfz1password

Thank you for the reply and for the continued feedback. If you do decide to sometimes open 1Password 7 (for as long as it continues to work on your device) then I recommend that you turn off 1Password 7's extension helper to help reduce the risk of conflicts with 1Password 8:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password 7 for Mac app.
    2. Click on 1Password 7 next to the  in the menu bar and choose Preferences.
    3. Click the Browsers tab and make sure Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running is turned off.

-Dave

• dfz1password
    dfz1password
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. Thanks, Dave.

• I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.