1Password always intercepts security key registrations

Options
laugher
laugher
Community Member

Hello. So I was reviewing my Microsoft accounts and decided it was time to add my YubiKey 5 NFC to my account as an additional signin method.

However, on several attempts, whenever Microsoft proceeds to attempt to register my YubiKey, 1Password always intervenes and asks me to update my Microsoft account in my 1Password Vault and issue its own "finger pressing on the key" event to Microsoft.

The physical security key I was trying to register never ends up on the Microsoft account.

How can I ask 1Password to stop intervening in this instance?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Browser: Firefox 117.0.1 64bit

Comments

• Hey @laugher, thanks for reaching out.

It sounds like you're getting prompted to save a Passkey for your Microsoft account. Could you try the following steps and let me know whether that resolves things for you:

Here are the steps:

1. Open your browser(s).
    2. Right-click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of the browser and select "Settings".
    3. Scroll down to the Autofill settings.
    4. Disable "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys"

Let me know how that goes.

Ali

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member
    Options

@laugher And if you do want to use 1Password for Passkeys, but still want to use security key occasionally, you can just bypass the 1Password passkeys prompt ad-hoc by clicking the small security key icon:

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks AliH1P. Good to know how to permanently turn it off.

Thanks @ajh0912 that is exactly what I was after. I needed a backup key in case for any reason, 1Password didn't work. Much appreciated.

• Thanks for pointing that out @ajh0912!

You're most welcome @laugher. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Ali

This discussion has been closed.