What if I can no longer update the browser on my iMac?

Options

I have delayed purchasing a new iMac waiting for a new 24" model. Needless to say, many things about my late 2013 27" iMac are beginning to fall behind. 1Password is no exception. Today I received the message "Update your browser to keep using the 1Password extension. To get future updates, you need to use a compatible version of your browser." At the moment, 1Password is working on my iMac although I see a few signs that it is beginning to deteriorate. I'm not even sure what question to ask other than just how bad is my situation. I would hate to purchase a Mac model that I really do not want just to use 1Password, but I really rely on 1Pass. I guess I've waited too long for a new 24" model that has never happened, but I just do not want a laptop. I do have a current iPad, but I hate to rely on that alone. Please advise.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Nikole
    Nikole
    Community Member
    Options

Browser updates often include security patches. Running an outdated browser may expose you to security vulnerabilities that could potentially affect your password manager's security.
    It's good that you have an iPad as an alternative.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Are you saying that I should stop using 1Password on my iMac since the browser is out of date? Specifically what kind of security vulnerabilities are you talking about, and how would they affect 1Pass on my Mac?

• @jazzman 1Password for Safari is no longer supported in Safari version 15 or lower. If you are using a device where you are unable to update to Safari version 16 or higher, we would reccommend using a different browser such as Chrome. Alternatively, you can use Universal Autofill or Quick Access to autofill in Safari.

Let me know if this helps!

• Nikole
    Nikole
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think the risk is so great that you need to stop using it immediately. Besides, as far as I know 1password stores your data in the cloud, so it's safe. But you mentioned you've been noticing a few things that suggest the app's not running as smoothly, so it's great that you've got an iPad handy, just in case.

• Hey @jazzman,

Although it's great to see you have the latest version of 1Password for Safari installed on your iMac, you will need to update your macOS in order to get the best experience using 1Password with your browser.

You can still use 1Password for Mac on your device with 1Password 8, though we recommend upgrading to a newer Mac device to use the latest version of 1Password for Safari.

We have a guide on how to set up 1Password for Safari in case you haven't tried it already: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Let me know if you have any questions!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

1Password for Safari still works on my iMac. I just want to make sure that I’m not exposing myself to great risk like hacking by still using it until I can get a new Mac. Security here is my primary concern.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Is it ok to use it as long as it works or not?

• Hey @jazzman,

As a security company, we want you to keep software and hardware up to date. Older versions of operating systems, hardware, or security software will become incompatible over time with vulnerabilities that didn't exist when they were current.

Whilst 1Password may still work in the version of Safari you currently have, my best recommendation would be to make use of 1Password in one of our other fully supported browsers: Get 1Password for your browser.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles

Thank you for you assistance.

• @jazzman

I'm happy that Steph was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

My iMac is old. I've been waiting for a new 24" version too long. Anyway, 1Password no longer automatically fills in the login info on my websites. Is this iMac just too old? Anyway, if you can help me get it working again, please help. Nothing much seems to be working here. I'm even having trouble creating new passwords and getting them to load.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
    Extension Version: 2.15.1
    OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
    Browser: Safari

• @jazzman

Please make sure 1Password in the browser (Safari) is up-to-date. You should see 2.16. ~5 days ago.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

I can't update to 2.16. I guess I'm done with 1Pass on Safari on my iMac unless I change browsers or just copy and paste usernames and passwords. I have Firefox 118.0.2. Will that work? If so, and I make it my default browser, will it migrate everything from Safari over? I'm just so used to using Safari. At least I have an iPad where everything works. Thanks for your assistance.

• Hey @jazzman,

Yes you will be able to install the latest version of 1Password in the browser in Firefox from here: Get 1Password in your browser.

You will not need to migrate any passwords you should be able to sign in to your 1Password account and see all of your items.

I hope this helps!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles,

Thanks so much! I have been waiting a long time for a new, big iMac(24" or 27"). I guess I just waited too long. Now my current old iMac is really obsolete. 1Pass still works in Safari most of the time, but I do experience issues sometimes. I just can't make myself buy a laptop or make the move to a big iPad. I just can't do it. So I just keep on keeping on and backing up my old iMac regularly just in case. And I'm such a Mac guy that I don't want to use another browser. Maybe I just need a little encouragement(LOL) to make some sort of a change. Anyway, any advice you have is appreciated.

• @jazzman

For what it's worth, I've recently started using Firefox again on my personal Mac and I'm loving it. It's fast and the number of great extensions is amazing. It looks like Firefox has a migration guide here: Importing Safari data into Firefox | Firefox Help

If you have other questions about using Firefox and moving your Safari data over then I recommend directing those questions to Firefox directly: Firefox Help

I hope that helps!

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks for your advice. Firefox may just come to my rescue for awhile. Your experience is encouraging.

• I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave