Native Safari password AutoFill integration

Options
valera5505
valera5505
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Safari AutoFill can now work with other than iCloud Keychain password managers natively. Will 1Password support it like it does on iOS? This will also likely resolve issues with people being unable to use 1Password in Sonoma Web Apps.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 14.0
Browser: Safari 17.0

Comments

• MikeNielsen
    MikeNielsen
    Community Member
    Options

This would really be great. I'm having some weird problems as well.

I stored TouchID logins (I guess, PassKeys) in iCloud, and when I disable the Autofill Password feature, I no longer have access to login through TouchID to a site that use this. Maybe it's just this specific site, but it's still "broken" as this used to work fine before.

When I enable Autofill, the integrated Password suggestion will overlapping with 1Password. This is really hard to work with.

I hope that by getting 1Password integrated natively here, this will overcome this problem.

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

Count me in as well! Definitely want to see this get added as well.

• Hey @valera5505, @MikeNielsen, @wavesound,

Thank you all for your feedback we really appreciate your suggestions.

In an ideal world you wouldn't need to use multiple password managers as you can store all of your passwords and passkeys in 1Password and access this from any device or browser. The new Safari 17 Web Apps feature is an exception, our team are aware that currently it is not possible to use 1Password to fill but are hoping to make improvements in a future update.

With that being said I have filed requests on your behalf, along with all of your suggestions, to see if this is something we can consider in a future update.

@MikeNielsen, let us know if you'd like further assistance saving your passkeys in 1Password on a specific website and we'll be happy to help!

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.

ref: PB36057680
    ref: PB36057708
    ref: PB36057716

• steffann
    steffann
    Community Member
    Options

The 1password user experience on Sonoma has gotten significantly worse. An proper integration like this would make a BIG difference!

• Hey @steffann,

Can you provide me with a little more information on your user experience with 1Password on MacOS Sonoma so I can gain a better understanding and pass any feedback on to the team?

Thank you!

• steffann
    steffann
    Community Member
    Options

The main annoyances are:

• it often takes a long time for the 1password dropdown to appear in Safari when clicking on a field in a login form
    • I seem to have to log in separately into the 1password desktop app and the 1password browser plugin
    • The 1password dropdown used to take the value of the input into account, so when logging in I could start typing the username and the dropdown would filter/prioritise the options shown. This doesn't happen anymore, so I now have to scroll through all the options until I find the right one

All of this together makes 1password much more cumbersome to use, to the point where I would like to go back to Apple Keychain sometimes. If at least 1password could integrate with the Apple password system that would be a good middle ground.

• PastaShock
    PastaShock
    Community Member
    Options

I normally use Firefox, but I wanted to experiment with Safari here.

1. The 1Password dropdown in Safari appears instantly for me.
    2. I see the same thing here. But I think this is the way Safari plugins work. I don't think a Safari plugin can run 100% "in the browser." A few other plugins I use require me to run a desktop app that the plugin interacts with.
    3. I don't have the plugin show me over 3 options, so I can't speak to this.
  • nathaniom
    nathaniom
    Community Member
    Options

+1 For this as well.

The password manager we use at work has support for the native password and the experience of using it compared to the 1PW Safari browser extension is much smoother and reliable.

While I really do appreciate the work the 1PW team has put into the the browser extension over the years I agree with some of the other comments here, the extension in Safari is quite unreliable and often frustrating. Some examples:

• At least once a day the sheet will just show a blank white page and requires a browser restart.
    • Every now and again, the credentials will show but just refuse to auto fill
    • Sometimes it just refuses to unlock
    • It is often slow to populate the autofill drop down
    • The annoying double fill drop-downs (but I need to use our works password manager as well as 1PW)

I don't have any steps to reproduce because the issues are seemingly random but happen on both my work and personal Macs.

I also use the extension with Firefox and Chrome and don't have the same issues so I fully expect it to be a weird apple quirk.