I completely erased my Mac and installed Sonoma. But 1Password information was not erased?

Options
activeinactive
activeinactive
Community Member

I completely erased my Mac and installed Sonoma.

When I installed 1Password 8 desktop application and opened the application, it had my email and secret key saved already. It just asked me to enter the master password and the 2fa code to login.

How do I disable this for a clean wipe of all things 1Password?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016047)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.0 (23A344)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member
    Options

1Password stores some account info in Keychain - if you're signed into an Apple ID I believe that will be synced with iCloud Keychain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/oac5q6/when_adding_a_new_1p_account_i_get_prompted_we/h3h8rxk/

• activeinactive
    activeinactive
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like the credentials are saved even if iCloud Keychain is turned off.

• Hello @activeinactive! 👋

If you've already added your 1Password account to one of your other Apple devices (such as a Mac or iPad) then 1Password would have stored an encrypted version of your Secret Key in the Keychain which is securely synced to all of your Apple devices if iCloud Keychain is turned on. The next time that you need to add your 1Password account to another device you'll only be asked for your account password since the 1Password app will retrieve your Secret Key from the iCloud Keychain.

This process not only safely and securely backs up your Secret Key but saves you from having to type it into all of your devices. You can read more here: About your Secret Key

Your account information is downloaded back to the wiped Mac after you login to your Apple account. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.