Apple.com or icloud passkey

Options
superandrew
superandrew
Community Member
edited October 2023 in iOS

Hi, am I the only one who is not able to add an apple id passkey? I can't find it in the watchtower, can't find it in 1password on ios.. I was able to add other passkeys but not Apple.

Also, as a general comment on passkey, after adding some: isn't it the regular login, with MFA, more easy with one password than having to fire a phone, use the cam and point a QR code on screen? I'm sure passkey is more secure, but to take 2 seconds instead of 1? with 1password? I don't think so.

Maybe I'm missing something?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 17
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @superandrew

Each of your devices signed in to your Apple ID automatically has its own passkey pre-populated, and it doesn't seem like there's any way to add another "non-device-specific" one, like you'd expect with most other websites and services that offer passkeys.

This is the main reason that Apple doesn't appear on https://passkeys.directory/, since although it is a passkey, it's essentially bound to the device you're using and each one is unique. Passkeys that you would save in 1Password would be available on all your devices, and would be the same one on each one. That's also why it doesn't appear in Watchtower.

Also, when signing in with a passkey, 1Password in the browser should offer to use your passkey automatically, as shown here:

Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

The same is true on iOS 17:

Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

Check that you have the 1Password browser extension installed on your computer and that Password AutoFill is set up correctly on your iOS devices, and you shouldn't have to scan another device using the camera to sign in using a passkey. If you still do, let me know what website you're having trouble with, and the exact steps you need to take to get it working, and I can look into it. :)

— Grey

• superandrew
    superandrew
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @GreyM1P, appreciated.

I'm forced to use 1password7 on my corporate account because I'm not ad admin. Is this feature embedded in the extension even with 1password7 or is this a feature of 1password8?

• @superandrew

Is your employer not allowing you to install and use 1Password 8? With the launch of 1Password 8 for iOS, 1Password 7 for iOS is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. Our recommendation is that everyone upgrade to 1Password 8 moving forward.

On the iPhone and iPad, you'll need to have 1Password 8 installed in order to save and sign in with passkeys: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

• superandrew
    superandrew
    Community Member
    Options

on ios i have 1password8. I can’t install it on my corporate mac though because it requires admin privileges, differently from 1password 7 which can be installed from app store. Is 1password 8 ever coming to app store?

• @superandrew

Thanks for the reply. If your IT team is using deployment tools to manage the apps on your work Mac then they can use a special 1Password installation package to manage the installation and update of 1Password 8 on the Mac: Deploy 1Password for Mac and Windows

Please have your IT team reach out to our business team at business@1password.com and we can help with the deployment.

That being said, you can save and sign in using passkeys with 1Password in the browser on your Mac: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

Is 1password 8 ever coming to app store?

1Password 8 for Mac isn't currently available in the Mac App Store. Instead, you can download the app directly through our website. If your workplace does not give you admin access on your Mac then, as mentioned above, please reach out to your IT team so that they can help you install it.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.