Safari Add to Dock Web App on Mac

Options
neilwjsimpson
neilwjsimpson
Community Member

When using the new "Add to Dock" feature in Mac Safari to create a web app in the dock, 1Password is not integrated at all so can't use it to enter passwords. I'm specifically using it to with Zendesk Support which has a horrible log in experience as it seems to open a new browser window whenever you enter your credentials.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016047)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hi there @neilwjsimpson

Safari web apps in macOS Sonoma don't allow browser extensions, such as 1Password, so autofilling won't be available in that sense.

We're working on making Universal Autofill more reliable with Safari web apps as we speak, but in the meantime, you can use Quick Access to quickly copy and paste the details you need. Here's what to do:

1. Press ⇧⌘Space (Shift-Command-Space) to bring up Quick Access.
    2. If the item you need isn't suggested, search for it.
    3. Press ⌘C (Command-C) to copy the username, ⇧⌘C (Shift-Command-C) to copy the password, or ⌥⌘C (Option-Command-C) to copy a one-time password, if present.
    4. Select the suitable field and press ⌘V (Command-V) to paste.

If you open Quick Access again within a short period of time, the same item will be highlighted.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P I can confirm using Quick Access works as you have documented above.

However, I am yet to be convinced about the benefit of web apps rather than just a saved url to warrant all the extra key strokes. In fact, in Safari I only need to type the first few letters of the url and it knows the site I am after.

1Password working with Web Apps would make a difference though.

Keep up the good work.

• @iwaddo

Glad to hear that Quick Access has helped! I'll be interested to see how popular Safari web apps will become, and hopefully Universal Autofill will help fill in the gaps when the 1Password browser extension isn't available.

• sainsworth
    sainsworth
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this.

I wonder if this is an issue with Safari. I see that settings in a Safari PWA include only limited versions of "General" and "Privacy".

• @sainsworth

Thanks for adding your findings. Hopefully Universal Autofill will be able to help here in the future.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23349

• glyph
    glyph
    Community Member
    Options

If I'm authenticating purely with passkeys with a given service, does that mean I'm completely locked out of using a Safari desktop app?

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@glyph

Thanks for the question. In most cases, websites will provide a fallback option that you can use to login if you're not able to use your passkey. Fallback options can include things like your password or a magic link sent to your email address.

Have you run into a website that doesn't provide such a fallback option?

-Dave

ref: PB-36880242

• TristanBerger
    TristanBerger
    Community Member
    Options

I’d like to throw in that I’m running into this limitation too.

Passkeys, as mentioned, seem to currently always be optional, but they still matter for all the reasons it mattered to ship them in the first place, and will (hopefully) only matter more in the future.

For others inconvenienced by this, you might consider switching from Sonoma web apps to .url or .webloc files. They’re tiny files supported in macOS since forever, that when launched open a specified URL in a normal browser tab, or switch to it if it’s already open. Not as nice, but it does mean full 1Password – and ad blocker – support.

• @TristanBerger

Thank you for adding your voice and feedback.

-Dave

ref: PB-36880277

• NeoNexusDeMortis
    NeoNexusDeMortis
    Community Member
    edited April 23
    Options

I'd like to add, that I'm currently working on a web-based "hacking" game. I'm doing my best to make it mobile friendly (it surprisingly already acts like a full-blown OS in the browser, even on mobile...).

Anyway, I just discovered that I could save the web app to the dock on macOS, and I have to say, it is game changing (badum tiss). It might not seem like much now, but it makes it feel like a legitimate game, not just some website.

Now, if there were some universal, platform agnostic way of saying "install this app now!" that'd be great!

But, I look forward to the day, when I don't have to keep copy/pasting the login credentials, and I can just use 1Password to login!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@NeoNexusDeMortis

Welcome to the community! You can use 1Password 8's Universal Autofill feature to fill into Safari web apps on the Mac:

Make sure that you have the latest version of 1Password for Mac installed: Download 1Password 8 for Mac

@neilwjsimpson, @iwaddo, @sainsworth I'm tagging you as well since you originally requested the feature in this thread. Thanks again for the feedback, and let me know if you run into any issues when filling your password into a Safari web app. 🙂

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you for tagging me.

I've created a web app from my favourite web based personal finance manager and followed the instructions to enable Univeral Fill. 1Password is enabled in Accessibility within Privacy & Security but when I open the web app 1Password did not do anything.

It took me a while to realise that I have to use the Command-Backslash () keyboard shortcut to autofill. The first time I had to give permission but on subsequent occasions it seems to work seamlessly.

This is excellent :-)

Thank you

• Dave_1P
    Options

@iwaddo

I'm happy that you were able to get Universal Autofill working. 🙂

-Dave