Safari extension always wants password!

Options
iwaddo
iwaddo
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

1Password Extension 2.15.1 always wants the password every time, but I can open the app with TouchID. Even with the app open the extension wants the password.

Cannot figure this out.

PS, and just to prove me wrong the extension has just opened without the password. I have seen the extension asking for the password for a few days now so something is odd.

PPS, just switched to a different site and the extension wants the password again!

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.18 (81018019)
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 14.0
Browser: Safari Version 17.0 (19616.1.27.211.1)

Comments

• Hey @iwaddo

Nice to see you again. It sounds like we're having trouble with the browser connection back to 1Password. Can you try the following?

1st:

Ensure the following is enabled. 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > General - Keep 1Password in the menu bar

2nd:

If no joy with 1, proceed with the following.

1Password 8 app:
    1. Turn off - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser

1Password for Safari or other browser:
    2. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    2 a. Sign out of any accounts you are signed into in the Safari browser. It will be at the bottom of the settings page mentioned in step 2.
    3. Quit the browser completely! A full quit, not a close or minimize to the dock.

1Password 8 app:
    4. Quit 1Password. Look in the menu bar and locate our helper right-click on it and select Quit.
    5. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    6. Turn On - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    7. Open your browser.

1Password for Safari or other browser:
    8. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then enable Integrate with 1Password app.
    9 . There should be no need to sign into any accounts within the browser. The interconnection between 1Password and 1Password in the browser should be all that is needed.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Hi, I've done that, had to follow the instructions right the way through. I will let you know if that seems to have resolved things.

I did giggle to myself after step 3, I closed the browser and lost these instructions :-)

Thank you for your help.

Regards

• Thanks for getting back to us @iwaddo, let us know how you get on!

(I would've definitely closed the browser and lost the steps too 😆)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

The extension wants the password again!

I believe it is related to a 1Password app update that I was prompted to install.

I know how to fix the problem but the issue shouldn't really be happening. Is it something that has been recorded as a bug to be addressed?

I provided the extension with the password so I can now get passwords in Safari but I was surprised to find that the app is locked and also now wants the password.

Thank you for your support.

• Hi @iwaddo,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble.

I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles

I will produce these logs the next time I have the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

• Thank you @iwaddo

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

@steph.giles The error occurred again so I have just emailed console log and diagnostics report to support+forum@1password.com linking back to this thread.

BitBot says [#SEF-19881-615]

As I suspected the error occurs after updating the 1Password app.

The app had a blue banner saying restart to update, which I did.

After the update 1Password can be open and unlocked but the Safari Extension always asks for the password.

Judging by the amount of red and 401 errors in the console log there is clearly a communications problem reaching one of the servers.

Please let me know if I can help further

Thank you for your help.

• david.m_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @iwaddo, thanks for sharing the Support ID with us. I've located your ticket, and sent a reply. Let's continue the conversation over there, and I'll close this thread to prevent having the same conversation in two different places. 🙂

ref: SEF-19881-615

This discussion has been closed.