Window focus changes from Chrome to Safari after password fill in Chrome

Options

I routinely run both Chrome and Safari at the same time on my Macbook Pro 16" M2 running Ventura 13.5.2. Often, when I do a password fill on a page in Chrome, once the fill is performed the window focus changes to Safari. This started to happen only in the last month or so. Has anyone ever seen this before?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
Browser: Chrome 117.0.5938.132 / Safari Version 16.6

Comments

• Hey @duffetta,

The behaviour you are describing does indeed seem strange.

Can you let me know the steps you are taking to fill in Chrome? When Safari opens is 1Password prompting you to do anything or does it simply just open the browser window?

• LANETWORKS
    LANETWORKS
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, both in Firefox and Chrome. Unlocking 1P in any browser switches the focus to Safari. I am using spaces and disabling the 1P extension in Safari seems to resolve the problem.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
    Extension Version: 2.15.1
    OS Version: macOS 14.0 (Sonoma)
    Browsers: Safari 17.0 (19616.1.27.211.1), Chrome 117.0.5938.149, Firefox 118.0.2

• Hey @LANETWORKS,

We have an existing issue that our devs have been working with Apple on in regards to Safari stealing focus. I have added you as an affected user, I'm sorry for the disruption.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest disabling the integration feature with 1Password for Safari, so it would work independently and Safari won't steal focus. Here're the steps:

1. Open your browser and right-click on the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. In the General section, turn the Integrate with 1Password app to OFF.

I hope this helps!

ref: dev/core/core#22735

• tucktuck
    tucktuck
    Community Member
    Options

Same here! Took me forever to find a site that shared my problem. I'll try Steph.Giles' solution. Thanks y'all!

1Password Version: 8.10.18
    Safari Extension Version: 2.17.0
    Chrome Extension Version: 2.15.1
    OS Version: macOS 14.0 (Sonoma)
    Browsers: Safari 17.0 (19616.1.27.211.1), Chrome Version 119.0.6045.159, Firefox 119.0.1

• Hey @tucktuck,

I'm sorry for the disruption, let us know if you have any further questions!

• tucktuck
    tucktuck
    Community Member
    Options

Update: It's still happening. I just logged into my Chrome extension, and I was immediately transported to another Space (window), the #1 space where most of my Safari browsing takes place. The Safari 1PW extension was not yet logged in, though, and remained logged out until I signed in to write this.

• Hey @tucktuck,

I'm sorry that I don't have any updates on this issue at this time.

Do the steps I shared above to disable the integration in Safari as a workaround help at all?

• adgeka
    adgeka
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. It's incredibly aggravating.

• @adgeka

I'm sorry that you're seeing the same issue, I've let our developers know that you're affected as well. For the time being, one of the following workarounds can help:

1. Fully quit Safari when you're not using it.
    2. Turn off app integration until the issue is fixed. Note that turning off app integration will mean that you'll need to unlock 1Password for Safari separately from the desktop app using your account password (not using Touch ID or using your Apple Watch).

How to turn off app integration:

1. Open Safari and right-click on the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. In the General section, turn off "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app".

I know that these workarounds aren't the most elegant, hopefully a fix will be released soon in a future update.

-Dave

• adgeka
    adgeka
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the workarounds, Dave. Unfortunately, I have a couple sites I work with regularly that are optimized for Safari so that browser is always open. I've been a 1Password user for many years but the last few releases have made the program really difficult to use. When I'm trying to use passwords with an app on my phone, sometimes the box to enter my master password is almost entirely covered by the keyboard and I can't rotate the phone to use it in horizontal mode. Again, this does not happen constantly and I can't narrow it down to certain apps. I'm using an iPhone 12 mini with the latest system running. Apple "updated" screenshots sometime over the past couple of years and now the keyboard doesn't show when taking one, otherwise I'd share. There are other "fussy" things, including needing to enter my master password CONSTANTLY, no matter which settings I seem to have in place, that make the whole process very tedious when it used to be very easy.