Options
2»

Comments

• jaylindell
    jaylindell
    Community Member
    edited April 4
    Options

I, too, have experienced this issue and it is annoying, only that because I have found a workaround until Agile Bits can figure out their own native solution (maybe the below will be of help in that effort). Here is what I do (unfortunately you have to do it in each Profile; this is not a universal fix):

1. I encounter the locked icon in a website's user/pw fields
    2. Open Safari's settings (command+,)
    3. Go to the Extensions section of the pane
    4. Deselect 1Password for Safari
    5. Reselect it
    6. Close the prefs pane
    7. Press Refresh (ctrl+r). Maybe even refresh it again ☺️
    8. Now, click into the password field on the website. For me, the locked icon is now unlocked, and it works as expected

The odd thing is that the 1P toolbar icon isn't always unlocked by this process, but the in-field icon is. When I click that toolbar icon, it wants me to enter my 1P password. So I usually don't, because the field icons are unlocked. I find that using the presented user/password unlocks the toolbar icon.

Pretty nutty, Agile Bitsters; hope you can figure this out.

Hope this helps some of you.

• nicovy
    nicovy
    Community Member
    Options

6 months since first post and no fix yet.

It's so annoying...

• jwhitley
    jwhitley
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that the workaround from @jaylindell works for me. Even better, it apparently fixes 1Password for Safari across all profile windows.

(rough) Repro steps:
    1. Enable Profiles in Safari for macOS
    2. Open any profile window, including the old default "Personal" profile
    3. Navigate to a site's login page
    4. Observe the locked 1Password icon in the username or password field
    5. Click it

Expected results:
    The normal unlock process should occur (Touch ID, password etc)

Actual results:
    Nothing happens, no response.

Related:
    Clicking on the 1Password icon in the toolbar brings up the dialog with an "Unlock 1Password" button. Clicking it does nothing.

The locked/unlocked state of the 1Password Mac app has no bearing on the above repro steps – same results either way.

• berezhinskiy
    berezhinskiy
    Community Member
    edited April 11
    Options

Your support ticket ID is NWQ-44182-514.

Please, fix.

• AlPonRock
    AlPonRock
    Community Member
    Options

I still have this issue. It's indeed so annoying, and already for a long time. But the password management of safari is getting better, half the family has given up on 1pw. So maybe I can cancel my 1password subscription for the entire family...

• Dave_1P
    Options

@nicovy and @AlPonRock

I'm sorry that you're both running into issues with 1Password for Safari. So that I can confirm whether you're running into a known issue, and provide suggestions for your specific situation, I'd like to ask you to send in a console log when reproducing the issue:

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    Options

@berezhinskiy

Thank you for posting the Support ID, I see that one of my colleagues sent you a reply via email about an hour ago. Please continue the conversation there.

-Dave

ref: NWQ-44182-514

• chipmc86
    chipmc86
    Community Member
    Options

First let me say I am a long time user of 1Password and I love this product - at least I did until Apple released profiles for Safari. Since then my frustration has been mounting.

I am sorry but scrolling through this thread, all I am hearing is:
    1) Thank you for posting on this forum
    2) Sorry for the inconvenience
    3) Please send us your logs
    over and over again. Not one post provides any indication that 1Password understands the issue, has developed a workaround or is working on a fix.

If you keep providing canned responses and don't offer any advice on how to fix things, people will just stop telling you about their issues and start looking for alternatives.

Is there any chance you could acknowledge that all these folks might be onto something and that relief is on the way?

Thanks, Chip

• Dave_1P
    edited April 13
    Options

@chipmc86

As a Safari user myself, I understand your frustration. Our development team is aware that the experience in Safari isn't where it should be (especially for folks using profiles) and they're actively working to make things more reliable.

The reason why my colleagues and I ask folks to send in logs is because there are multiple open issues with similar symptoms and the logs help our team identify which specific issue someone is running into. Once the specific issue is identified we can then suggest a specific fix or workaround for that issue.

That being said, the bulk of the issues surrounding Safari profiles currently involve the integration between 1Password for Safari and the desktop app. This integration is a unique feature that isn't shared by most other extensions and it can sometimes run into problems. Turning off the integration should improve the situation for most users almost immediately:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in Safari and click Settings.
    3. Turn off "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app."
    4. Repeat step 2 and 3 for all Safari profiles.

I know that this isn't an elegant workaround but I want to share it in case it helps some people. With app integration turned off you'll need to unlock 1Password in each profile separately and you'll need to use your account password (Touch ID and Apple Watch unlock won't be available).

If you send in a console log then the team can check to see if any other, less drastic, workarounds are available in your case. Our developers are actively working to make the experience in Safari better and to release a fix in a future update to 1Password.

-Dave

[Edited for clarity and to focus more specifically on Safari profiles.]

• PaulTheFish
    PaulTheFish
    Community Member
    Options

Another possible workaround from a Safari Profiles user: I've noticed that the 1P dialog opened from the Menu Bar 1P icon can auto-fill a Safari window, even if the 1P icon in the window shows locked. (Plus, I didn't realize until now it works in those login windows that don't show the menu bar and 1P icon, that will be handy). You may have to search and select the right login. May not always work.

• chipmc86
    chipmc86
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, thank you for your comments. This is both useful and it gives me hope that things will get better. I will also send you my logs.

Like I started my post with "I love your product". I can only imagine how complex it is to support 1Password, thanks for not forgetting us Safari users.

Chip

• AlPonRock
    AlPonRock
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P , I sent the information you requested. Hope you can fix it soon.

• SamIsAnnoyedWith1P
    SamIsAnnoyedWith1P
    Community Member
    Options

Just posting to say that this issue (not working with Safari profiles) is really annoying.

Created a forum community account just for this.

I have no other issues with 1Password but this.

Please let us know when you will have a fix.

• Hello @AlPonRock,
    Thank you for sending a support request, I’ve sent you a reply via email. Let’s continue the conversation there together.

@PaulTheFish
    Thank you for sharing that workaround with the community! You can indeed use Universal Autofill to fill logins into Safari (and other Mac apps) without even installing the browser extension:

@chipmc86
    The entire team appreciates both your feedback and your kind words. Our team works hard to ensure 1Password meets your expectations, and improving the experience of 1Password in Safari is a priority. The team will keep an eye out for your email and will dig deeper into the logs from your Mac when they’re received so that we can suggest other workarounds if applicable.

ref: ZEG-69944-169

• moulde
    moulde
    Community Member
    edited April 26
    Options

I have not been able to use 1password in the last few months or so. Autofilling passwords only works 1/20 times, the extension times out and i have to click reload, after which the autofill still doesn't work.
    I have tried the steps above which does absolutely nothing.

Safari profiles has been available for a while, please make this work or tell me what to do to make it work, is there a workaround that I can use until you fix the issue?

• Dave_1P
    Options

I've merged a few threads together in order to keep the conversation in the same place. 🙂

For those who are running into issues with 1Password for Safari please see my post here for a brief explanation of the current state of the situation. Our developers continue to work on this and hopefully the experience is made more stable in the future. As mentioned in my post, turning off app integration should allow you to workaround most of the issues.

Sending in a console log allows the team to identify the specific issue that you're running into and then to provide additional workarounds or possible solutions. You can find instructions here:

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave