Unable to add passkey to my Microsoft account. Important accounts.

Options
HNofX82
HNofX82
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I can see a message visible that i can use passkeys with MS account, but having issue creating same.. Not sure where/how to proceed (it asks for a physical usb device)
I was able to create passkeys for all my google accounts with any physical usb device.

This are some settings on my MS account, I have enabled 2FA which shows prompt with a code displayed on my Android device to verify everytime in MS authenticator app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Use the workflow to add a new USB or NFC physical key. If you have the 1Password browser extension installed, it will intercept before trying to access any physical key and store the passkey within 1Passkey instead. At least this is how it worked for me.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply.
    Did you meant, I don't require any kind of physical key if browser extension is installed ?
    This works fine when adding passkeys to google accounts. but once i clear entire cache/cookies from browser, it wont login to that google account until I have deleted passkey associated with that google account from 1Password.
    **It seems this is not working ? **

On Microsoft, not sure where to get passkeys enabled, 1password just shows passkey supported, takes me to above pages, but nothing ahead..

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I meant exactly what I wrote.
    Whatever applies to Google accounts, doesn't apply to Microsoft accounts. Forget Google, concentrate on your Microsoft account.

1. make sure you have the 1Password browser extension installed
    2. go to the Microsoft account security page you showed in your screenshot
    3. choose "Add a new way to sign in or verify"
    4. choose "use a security key"
    5. choose USB device or NFC, doesn't matter. Then "Next"
    6. 1Password will intercept and offer saving a Passkey to your 1Password Microsoft account item.
    7. Done.
    8. If you now try to sign in to your Microsoft account, 1Password will now offer Passkeys.

Exactly this workflow works for me with the Chrome browser on a desktop PC/Laptop. If you use a different browser but still supported by 1Password, and on a desktop platform and not mobile, it will probably work for you as well.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks,
    Did same and it worked but my Microsoft Account in with passkey saved, still appears like earlier ?
    (did this in Firefox)

Visible under 1password windows app.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

But now, i can additionally see a Microsoft logo appears with text sign in with..

• Hi @HNofX82,

Thanks for the screenshots here! It appears that a passkey was not added to that login, rather the Sign in with Microsoft option causing the passkey Watchtower banner to continue to appear on that item.

Following @Tertius3 steps, 1Password in the browser should intercept the request and allow you to add the passkey. I've included an example and steps below from my personal Hotmail account:

1. From the Microsoft Security page select, + Add a new way to sign in or verify.
    2. Select Use a security key.
    3. Click Next.
    • 1Password in the browser should appear as below with the option to update your item with the passkey:

1. Click Save, to update the item.
    2. Enter a name for the key.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any further questions.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Tried to signin and this is first option given:
    Selected signin with Hello or Security key.

As mentioned above by @Tertius3, I had setup the passkey with no physical device and I get the above option, which is forcing to select a key (which was never there)

At present i have Microsoft Autheticator working as well for sign-in option (notification to approve logins is send to my android device)
    This is the way I logged in..

Should i keep only once MS Authenticator or PAsskey ?
    Passkey created with no physical device is not working in my case.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I removed sign with passwordless and 2FA.

Now I am signing using a password and did the passkey setup. this works properly.

**## A question for experts here. since this is one of my important accounts. **

Can i add additional layer of security here which MS provides like 2fa ?
    With password less it seems this is not working.

• sahulkko
    sahulkko
    Community Member
    edited January 5
    Options

I would like to know how one is then able to add physical security key if passkey by 1password is:

"Following @Tertius3 steps, 1Password in the browser should intercept the request and allow you to add the passkey."

Intercepting the process of adding physical security key? Like turn off 1password plugin and add physical security key? Touch your nose and go around birch few times approach?

In plugin there is icon to choose where to save the passkey in top right corner though it is vague. From there one can choose to save it to physical key.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@sahulkko
    If a passkey is to be used or is to be created, the 1Password browser extension is detecting this, a corresponding window is popping up and you can handle the action within 1Password. You also have the choice of just closing this 1Password window. In this case, the default passkey handling from browser/operating system kicks in and you again have the choice to handle that action with their functionality.

Initiating passkey and physical key creation is the same on some websites, for example for private Microsoft accounts as above. At least it was the same at the time of writing. So 1Password pops up for that request, because it doesn't know if you intend to create a passkey or a physical key. You need to dismiss its dialog to get to the operating system dialog, which enables you to use the physical key.

• sahulkko
    sahulkko
    Community Member
    edited January 6
    Options

If you close 1password popup window in the Microsoft Entra environment the process of adding physical security key fails with unknown reason notation.
    One can save passkey to physical key with top right corner icon and selecting the physical security key to be the target of passkey.

• @sahulkko

Just to clarify, to dismiss the prompt and use your security key instead, you can click on the following:

Let me know if that doesn't work. 🙂

-Dave

• sahulkko
    sahulkko
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that is how it goes. Icon is vague on top corner and there should be clear selection list of targets to save passkey.

• @sahulkko

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37810805