Best Practice for setting up records with multiple user names and passwords

Options
edobrov
edobrov
Community Member

Hi, I've been using another password manager for the past 15 years and just made the switch to 1Password this week. I'm very happy with it so far. But have a question about best practice for set up.

I currently have 350 records. And many of those are records that have every family member's username and password stored in the same record. So, for example, I have one United Airlines record with our 4 user names and passwords stored in the same record. I'm already finding that's not ideal when using it with the web or iOS with 1Password integration.

What is the best practice here. Create separate records for each username and password, labeled with an extension? Or is there another way so that I don't end up with 800-1000 records?

Thanks,
Eva

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 13.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2023
    Options

@edobrov

Yes, each login would be for one specific instance of a username password combination. It's not uncommon to have that many logins for a family. Well, not in my book. I've had as many as 2k but I've started keeping a closer eye on what we no longer use and it hovers around 1k now.

I am very fond of the following naming scheme. It took me 15 years to decide this was what works best for us. It looks cleaner to me when visiting a site with multiple family logins.

Google - Tom
    Google - Son 1
    Google - Son 2
    etc.,

You might also look at creating vaults for each member so that the data is a little more compartmentalized.

Create and share vaults

• edobrov
    edobrov
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I will do the same. Your naming scheme sounds similar to mine. Great minds...😀

• You're most welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.