Is there an easier way to sign in to 1PW.com for account management?

Options
Chevalier
Chevalier
Community Member

I rarely need to do it but having recently renewed the card I used for my subscription one of those rare times rolled round again. Given I don't use the web based account manager that often I haven't really looked at what is the easiest way to do it. So it is with a sense of dread that I reached that time to do it again, dread because it's just SO clunky! I prefer to manage these things from a laptop than piddle around with the small screen of a phone so.....

1) I click the link in the email I was sent to update my payment details
2) That opens on the 1PW.com page
3) I enter my account email, THEN the clunky part starts
4) I now need my Secret Key. So now I have to open up 1PW on the phone and go through settings to get to 'Set up another device'. I can then select and copy my key
5) I now paste the key to Notes on the iPhone
6) I then go to that note on the Mac and copy the key again
7) Now I paste that key into 1PW.com
8) Then my 2FA prompt appears so I open up my 2FA app
9) Enter the 2FA and FINALLY I can update my card details!

I kinda get it, all the security, but Jeez! I have to say I really dread having to sign in and do anything. Even if I'm signed in on the computer I can't see a way to access my account from the Mac app. Not saying there isn't, I've just not found it.

Probably the main thing I hate with 1PW, just lucky it's a rare requirement, one which I'd gladly avoid altogether if I could!

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.7
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hi there @Chevalier

If you have 1Password for Mac installed, you can find your Secret Key in the app without having to use your phone:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

By clicking the 🔽 down arrow at the top of the sidebar and choosing "Set Up Another Device", you can click the Secret Key in the pop-up to copy it to the clipboard, meaning you can paste it into 1Password.com as needed.

Unless you clear your cookies or cache in your browser, you won't need to enter your Secret Key or two-factor authentication code again the next time you sign in to 1Password.com. Since there's no security or performance benefit, you don't need to clear these, and leaving them as they are will help you access 1Password.com more quickly.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.