Possible to save Apple ID passkey in 1P?

Options
zeror
zeror
Community Member

Is it possible? Also, would this be circular logic? E.g. if I need to sign into a completely new device in the future, I first need to log into Apple ID to download 1Password. But I'd then need the passkey which is stored in 1P?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @zeror

Apple's implementation of passkeys seems to be that there is (automatically) one passkey for each of your devices where you're signed in to your Apple ID, rather than sharing the same one, and each one is bound to a specific device.

Unless Apple were to change how that worked, and allow enrolling a new passkey, you won't be able to save your Apple ID passkey in 1Password.

Hope that clarifies things. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

— Grey

• zeror
    zeror
    Community Member
    Options

Would saving the passkey for my 1Password account in 1Password (app) itself be pointless? (circular)

• @zeror

Thanks for the reply. It's not currently possible to unlock 1Password itself using a passkey except as part of our private beta: Private Beta: Create a 1Password Account with a Passkey

When passkey unlock for 1Password is released, I would recommend that you save that passkey outside of 1Password in a place like iCloud Keychain. Saving the passkey for 1Password in 1Password is a little bit like keeping a key to a personal safe in the safe itself.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• tgaynor
    tgaynor
    Community Member
    Options

What is the recommended setup to allow iCloud Keychain to be used to only store Apple ID passkeys and use 1Password for everything else? In Sonoma's Password Options screen, should the option "AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys" be turn on or off? Should option "Use passwords and passkeys from iCloud Keychain" be on or off?

• @tgaynor

Thanks for the question. A passkey for your Apple ID is stored automatically on your devices, I don't believe that it's stored in iCloud Keychain as the Apple ID passkey seems bound to each device. There aren't any settings to control this as far as I'm aware of.

On macOS Sonoma you'll want to turn off "AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys" since 1Password doesn't use that function. You can learn how to save and sign in with passkeys using 1Password in the browser here: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• tgaynor
    tgaynor
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks for the quick response ! !

I turned off "AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys" in Sonoma's Password Options area and not I can not log into appleid.apple.com with the passkey.

• @tgaynor

Ah, thank you for reporting back. If turning off "AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys" prevents you from using the passkey for your Apple ID then you should still be able to log in to your Apple account using your username and password.

Unfortunately there still doesn't appear to be a way to save a passkey for your Apple ID in 1Password itself.

For more help with the Apple ID passkey I would recommend reaching out to Apple Support since they'll be in the best position to assist further.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.