Updates to 1Password for Firefox

Options
moonpup
moonpup
Community Member
edited December 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

I understand this is not a 1Password problem, but why can't 1PW get the Firefox plugin store to release your updates quicker. It literally takes weeks for it to show up as available. I know I can use the beta, but why should I have to?

What I find interesting, is that when Bitwarden (my former password manager) released a plugin update, it was available within a day or two of it's release in Firefox. Also, I noticed that your plugin updates hit the Chrome and Apple stores plugins the same day or next.

Seriously, why can't you guys get this delay fixed, it's beyond frustrating.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @moonpup! 👋

Thanks for the question! The submission and review process for each browser's web store is different and you might see versions make it to certain browsers faster than others.

Using the beta version of 1Password in the browser is an option if you'd like to see the latest updates and features faster. 🙂

-Dave

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Appreciate the quick reply.

Is it not possible for 1PW to work with the Firefox web store to fast track your releases? I understand it's out of your control, but it's painful waiting for the production updates.

• @moonpup

Thanks for the feedback. We'll continue to work with our partners at Mozilla to improve the process and get the latest version of 1Password in the browser into your hands as quickly as possible.

-Dave

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm calling on Firefox being the issue here. Just for an example, I keep an eye on Bitwarden and they just released a new browser plugin (2023.10.1) within the last week and it's already available in the Firefox plugin store. Maybe Firefox just doesn't like 1PW haha... I don't understand how 1PW's plugin releases take a month or more.

[Removed profanity, please remember that this a family-friendly community. -Moderator]

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@moonpup

I'm sorry for the delay. Our team is working with our partners at Mozilla to release the latest update as quickly as possible. For now, if you're running 2.15.1 then you're already running the latest version available for Firefox.

As mentioned, if you'd like to use the latest updates and features right away then you can use the beta version.

Thank you for your understanding. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 36661088

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    Options

Roger that... thank you!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

I also have to complain again here ... In the past, I complained in other discussions about this, too. In the meantime, I switched to the beta release, because the beta version doesn't need to be approved from Mozilla. But the beta version of the extension is not synced via Mozilla Sync to all my other devices using Firefox. So I switched back to the release version of the extension ... But now I'm standing here and have to complain again.

Why is it so difficult for 1PW to get the approval from Mozilla? Yesterday, version 2.17.1 was released (https://releases.1password.com/b5x/stable/#changelog). In Firefox, version 2.15.1 is the latest version available that was released on September, 15th. 2 months are gone and in the meantime, 4 newer versions were released with bugfixes and much more. But we are not able to get these changes ...

Please be so kind and talk to Mozilla to help to get an approval much faster for all your customers using Firefox. It would be awesome.

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Exactly... As an example, my son uses Bitwarden so I keep an eye on their releases. Every time they release a new browser plugin, it shows up as available in Firefox within a few days or less. I really don't understand why the 1PW releases take weeks. It simply makes no sense, when other plugins tend to be approved so quickly.

One thing to note is that Bitwarden is a recommended plugin on the Firefox store, whereas 1PW is not. Maybe the recommended ones get fast tracked.

EDIT: add @Dave_1P

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe the recommended ones get fast tracked.

So, 1PW extension should be a recommended one ... Thumbs pressed!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    Why is this discussion not seen / listed in the 1Password in the Browser forum? I'm not able to see this discussion there ...

• MozBugs
    MozBugs
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, the latest versions for Firefox available are: 2.15.1 (stable) and 2.17.0 (beta) .

When will the more recently released versions be made available?

Thank you

1Password Version: 8.10.20
    Extension Version: 2.15.1, 2.17.0
    OS Version: macOS 14.1
    Browser: Firefox

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I'm going to be the squeaky wheel here looking for some grease. I know you you keep saying to be patient, but 2.16 came out and it was never available in Firefox and now 2.17 is out and we are still waiting.

I'm sorry, but this is just becoming silly. You guys keep blaming Firefox, but how does Bitwarden's plugins get released so quickly. The only difference is Bitwarden is a recommended Firefox plugin, whereas 1PW is not. Regardless, I don't understand how you can release a new version that never shows up as available before another new version is released.

• @DenalB

I'm seeing the post normally, let me know if you're still seeing an issue.

-Dave

• MozBugs
    MozBugs
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P wrote:

Using the beta version of 1Password in the browser is an option if you'd like to see the latest updates and features faster.

As described above, the beta version is still at 2.17.0, while versions 2.17.2 and now 2.18.0 should already have been available for dowload.

• Thank you everyone for your advocacy, as a Firefox user myself I'm also eagerly waiting for the next update to 1Password for Firefox. I've passed along everyone's comments and feedback to the team internally.

Please be so kind and talk to Mozilla to help to get an approval much faster for all your customers using Firefox.

Our team is working closely with our partners at Mozilla regarding both the stable and beta versions. We hope to release an update as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on our releases page: 1Password Releases

-Dave

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I'm seeing the post normally, let me know if you're still seeing an issue.

Yes, now the discussion is available in the list.

• Thanks for confirming @DenalB.

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

This is from the Firefox plugin page for 1PW. Over 2 months and 2 new releases, still unavailable... really sad. It's funny, when you search for any other password manager plugin, it shows at the top of the list. When you search for 1PW, it's 3rd in the list after Bitwarden and Roboform. I don't think Firefox likes 1PW.

• @moonpup

Thank you for the feedback. Please see my previous comment regarding updates to 1Password for Firefox: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/700246/#Comment_700246

When you search for 1PW, it's 3rd in the list after Bitwarden and Roboform.

It looks like Firefox will surface "Recommended" matches above other matches for search results in their Add-ons store. My understanding is that an evaluation determined that, to provide Firefox users with the best possible experience, a free version is required for an extension to be listed as "Recommended" in the Firefox Add-ons store. I can't say it's something we'll do, but I've passed your comments along to the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-36993520

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried the 1Password Beta extension in Firefox, and I was surprised that also the beta build is not up-to-date.

Installed: 2.17.0
    Missing: 2.17.2 & 2.18.0
    (https://releases.1password.com/b5x/beta/#changelog)

I thought that beta builds come from 1Password directly and do not need to be approved from Firefox? Am I wrong?

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this? Seriously, what is broken between 1PW and Firefox? I don't have any issues getting other updated/current plugins from Firefox. It's only 1PW... so what's the problem here?

• brutos
    brutos
    Community Member
    Options

I thought i was the only one seeing the Firefox extension so far behind the other browsers.

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P and @steph.giles

Are you able to answer my question above?

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@moonpup

Thanks for the ping and for your continued patience, the following is still the latest information that I have to share: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/700246/#Comment_700246

Hopefully we have a new beta and stable update to share with the community soon. 🤞

-Dave

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P @steph.giles

I think we are misunderstanding each other. It's not about the actual releases on the releases.1password.com page. It's about the releases not being available on Firefox... it's over 2 months and we're still on 2.15.1

My point is that on the releases webpage, 2.16 came out and was never available to get via Firefox. Then 2.17 came out and it's still not available in Firefox. How can 2 releases come out and never be available for the Firefox browser?

The point I'm trying to make is that some process is broken between 1PW and Firefox when it comes to making the new plugin available. So that's why I keep asking about this... the 1PW plugins never seem to hit the plugin store or take months...

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@moonpup

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I'm referring to 1Password for Firefox specifically and I believe that I'm understanding your question correctly. I'm sorry if my previous answer was confusing, I'll try to clarify.

My point is that on the releases webpage, 2.16 came out and was never available to get via Firefox. Then 2.17 came out and it's still not available in Firefox. How can 2 releases come out and never be available for the Firefox browser?

Each browser has different technical opportunities and challenges. We don't create just one build of 1Password in the browser and then release that same build simultaneously to all browsers. When we create a new version of 1Password in the browser, we create individual builds for each browser. So there is one build for Chrome, another for Safari, and another for Firefox even though they're all labeled as the same version. These builds are all slightly different from each other so that they can work with their browser's specific environment, APIs, and review/approval policies.

Sometimes, a build of the new version of 1Password for one browser will require a little more work from our team than a build of that same version for another browser. This may result in small delays where you'll see a new version available for one browser and then see that same version be available for another browser a few days later. Since we don't want a delay that only affects one browser to delay updates for all browsers, you might sometimes see versions released for certain browsers and not others. But rest assured, the next released version will include all updates and improvements contained in those previous versions.

That being said, the current delay is not ideal and it falls short of our high standards. Our team is working hard, in collaboration with our friends at Mozilla, to get a new version (beta and stable) of 1Password for Firefox out to you as soon as possible.

-Dave

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated! I guess I'll just have to be patient and hope 1PW and Firefox improve the plugin release workflows. Looking forward to the next release :)

• Thank you for your understanding @moonpup, apologies for the delay!

• max2770
    max2770
    Community Member
    Options

Now a week later and still not even an updated beta. As a business customer, I have to say this is greatly turning me off towards 1password. It's pretty clear that both Safari and Chromium browsers are being favoured over Firefox.

I will start evaluating the business version of Bitwarden and comparing it to 1password so as to make an informed decision. It's clear that the 1P team doesn't value development for Firefox as much as it does for other browsers. Firefox is my main browser and crucial to my workflow, so 1P's decision is counter to my business interests.

• moonpup
    moonpup
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Unbelievable... 2.18.0 is already available for download in Chrome, Edge, Brave and Safari... There have been 3 releases since 2.15.1 and not one has been available for Firefox. This is beyond frustrating, fix this process already!

This discussion has been closed.