1Password for Mac 7.9.12 crashing after updating

Options
bgoodz
bgoodz
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Background update this morning for 1PW. After update now enter password and 1PW blanks out and doesn't open. Have always updated 1PW when instructed. Display message says "1Password7 quit unexpectedly" send report to apple. Running Mac desktop Catalina 10.15.7. 1PW7 ruling on iPad and iPhone ok, issue is on Mac desktop after update this morning 11/1/23......Thank yo for any assistance

1Password Version: 7.9.12
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser: Safari

Comments

• slikk66
    slikk66
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi, got the standard "update now" message, updated and now I'm unable to open my vault. As soon as I use fingerprint or type in the password, I see the opening animation and my entries for just a brief moment, and then it crashes and pulls up the Apple "submit crash" screen.

Unable to utilize 1P on my work laptop, while trying to work. Reboot didn't help.

Unfortunate situation.. Is there any way to downgrade to an older version?

Here's some of the crash report details:

Time Awake Since Boot: 860 seconds
    System Integrity Protection: enabled
    Crashed Thread: 3 Dispatch queue: com.agilebits.1password.b5server.urlsession (QOS: UNSPECIFIED)
    Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
    Terminating Process: exc handler [1489]

Extension Version: n/a
    OS Version: 13.4.1(c)
    Browser: App - no browser

• slikk66
    slikk66
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue.

• jeanc
    jeanc
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Same issue here. I can't update to 1Password 8 and my previous version keeps crashing. I'm running the installer but there's no way I can tell that it's even working. I'm on a Mac running the most recent OS.

• seand003
    seand003
    Community Member
    Options

I also had issues after the 7.9.12 auto-update this morning. The error report contained something that made me think of trying to uninstall my chrome and firefox extensions so I did that but it still crashes.
    However I was able to roll back by downloading and installing 7.9.11 found here https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

After the install I could access 1password again I then opened the preferences/settings for 1Password and selected Updates and disabled the auto-update feature for 1Password

• Grant Hutchinson
    Grant Hutchinson
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I’m running into the same crash on launch after updated to the latest version this morning.

Extension Version: 2.16.0
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
    Browser: Vivaldi 6.2.3105.56

Edit: I have sent a copy of my crash report to the support email indicated below.

• jeanc
    jeanc
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent my crash log to a support staff person. Waiting to see the response.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that 1Password 7 is crashing after an update on your Mac. This is an issue that is affecting some users and not others, an internal issue has been opened and our developers are investigating. In order to help with the investigation, I'd like to ask you all to send the crash reports to support+forum@1Password.com

With your email please include:

For the time being, you can revert to the previous version of 1Password 7 by following these steps:

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. If you see the 1Password icon in your macOS menu bar, hold down the Control (⌃) and Option (⌥) keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Download the previous version of 1Password 7 from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

To prevent the update from being installed again, turn off automatic updates:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password 7 next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Setting (or Preferences).
    4. Click on Updates.
    5. Uncheck "Automatically install updates".

edit: @seand003, thanks for posting similar instructions so quickly and helping the community. 💙

-Dave

ref: apple-5727

• seand003
    seand003
    Community Member
    Options

Note the 7.9.12 update removes browser extension support; which as 1Password 7 users knew was coming because of all the pop-ups from the app the last few months.
    However the app should still work with Safari.
    It appears the update deliberately kills the app after checking for some value after you enter the master password.

• Grant Hutchinson
    Grant Hutchinson
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I was able to rollback to version 7.9.11 as suggested by @seand003 and things are working again.

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave_1P and @seand003 followed instructions and re-installed 1PW7 v 7.9.11.all working again. Also sent crash report to 1PW support. Now I'm wondering if I should download & install 1PW8.

• 1rob
    1rob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick rollback instructions. After I found them by searching here, they worked just now to allow 1Password 7 to launch without crashing upon application login on an Intel iMac running Mojave.

(Despite having a 1Password subscription that would license me move to v8, I need to keep using v7 on that machine because it will have to stay permanently on 10.14.6 for legacy application software compatibility, and v8 unfortunately requires Catalina or later.)

Because some users who updated may be struggling and may not find those instructions here, I'd suggest that it could be a kindness to push that advice out in an email to let registered users know. My first thought upon today's login crashes was that maybe not only had browser extensions been disabled, as we were well warned about, but support for Mojave had as well--which would have been a huge issue. I hope 1Password 7 continues to have a long legacy life in that OS, and am glad it's back up for now.

• roadtripjoe
    roadtripjoe
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. Link and Crash Report sent to designated email address. MacBook (early 2015), Monterey 12.7.1.

• btn
    btn
    Community Member
    Options

Whew, I thought I was finally being punished for dragging my feet to migrate to 1PW 8. 😅 (I have an irrational fear that my TOTP keys won't migrate, probably caused from PTSD with other TOTP utilities. 🤷‍♂️) Thanks for making prior versions of 1PW 7 available on the Release Notes page! I was able to deduce that 7.9.12 broke something by checking the version and date before I finally found this page while making sure that there wasn't somehow a rogue version of 1PW 7.

• nickreese
    nickreese
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

1password autoupdated to 7.9.12 Mac OS 10.15.7. 1Password crashes on launch. Downloaded and installed 1Password 7.9.11 and all is well. Beware 7.9.12

Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
    Browser: Not Provided

• I want to thank everyone who took the time to send in a crash report. 💙

Our developers have pulled the update for now which will prevent it from being installed going forward. If anyone else updated before the update was made unavailable, please use the rollback instructions in my previous post. Following those steps will get things running again.

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

-Dave