1Password for Windows version 7.9.835 - disables Classic extension on Firefox 119.0

Options

Hi Folks,

I know that you dropped support for 1PW Version 7 (no 1 will not upgrade to version 8 since there is no local vault support any more and a hosting on premise is also not available) but today's update does not only "Updated the notice about the now deprecated 1Password Classic extension" it also makes it unusable with Firefox 119.0.
Until 30min ago with version 7.9.834 I could simply "dismiss" the notice for the extension but it keeps on working. OK, it crashed from time to time when adding or updating a login but so far it worked and did the job.
But after the (automatic)update to version 7.9.835 some minutes ago the extension is not work any more. A click on the 1PW icon does not bring up the window it is simply dysfunctional. I do not know if this intentional, but a downgrade to previous version made it instantaneously work again.

So please: Either correct the changelog and add a hint that the extension is disabled or revert the change so that it is working again. For now I decided to to stay on version 7.9.834 and disabled automatic update.

Kind Regards
SPuch

1Password Version: 7.9.835
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Firefox 119.0

Comments

• ondr3j
    ondr3j
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes, I noticed that too. They silently removed the ability to use the extension. At first, I thought Google had gone through disabling already installed Manifest v2 extensions in Chrome. But after rolling back the update, I was able to use the extension again.

It's just another tactic to push people to 1Password 8.

• Eriala
    Eriala
    Community Member
    Options

To: AgileBits

This is a DARK MARKETING PATTERN and makes me never even want to think about using any of your software again. Even the release notes don't make it clear that this actually forcefully disables the addon integration. YUCK. DON'T BE EVIL.

For anyone who hasn't quite gotten off 1Password yet: You can uninstall this version, download and install 7.9.834, and disable automatic updates in the settings.

• Hi All,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue with our release notes. It appears that the release notes for 1Password 7 for Windows (7.9.835) were published to https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6, but not https://app-updates.agilebits.net/product_history/OPW6. I’ve flagged that with the team, and we are working to get those release notes published across all of our channels.

Our release notes should be indicating that the older extension (OPX) is now deprecated and will stop working soon if it has not already:

“Updated the notice about the now deprecated 1Password Classic extension. {OPW-5170}”

There are some more details here: https://support.1password.com/kb/202303/

1Password in the browser, our modern extension, offers the best browser experience. You can download it here. Our modern extension requires a 1Password account to work. If you do not have one yet, you can email us at support+tradein@1password.com for help, and get the latest offers we have available for those of you still using a standalone license. :)

Additionally, 1Password 8 is included with every 1Password membership. If you’d like to upgrade to 1Password 8, you can do so by following the steps in our handy support article.

Josh

• Eriala
    Eriala
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please clarify if you are also fixing the issue with the latest version actually breaking the extension directly? It no longer works in Chrome/Edge/Firefox on Windows with latest version. Reverting to previous version, everything is fine.

Also, I would be interested in upgrading if WLAN sync is provided. Cloud use is an absolute non-starter for me, and I'm sure many other users who are hanging on to v7. I would only use new version if I can safely avoid your cloud offerings entirely without degradation or nags. Otherwise, I will just migrate to different software if the extension breaks.

• Ben
    Options

1Password is no longer offering WLAN sync or sync via 3rd party services. The 1Password Classic extension is EOL ("End-of-Life") and is being removed from all channels.

The path forward with 1Password is 1Password 8 and membership. We'd be more than happy to help anyone who'd like to take that path with us. To facilitate those conversations please write to support+tradein@1password.com via email.

Ben