1PasswordAgent.log file is huge (76GB), why?

Options
stevanston
stevanston
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm still using 1Password 7, on an M1 iMac running macOS 14.1. 1PasswordAgent.log is nearly 76GB. There's a thread from 2014 about a massive log file in 1Password 4 but no mention of this since. It's a file still in use by 1Password since it was updated just a few hours ago. Any suggestions about how to reclaim that file space and keep the log file from getting so large in the future? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    Options

Can you simply move that file to a different location and see if a similar sized file is created? Maybe it's a one-off and deleting the log file resolves it...

• @stevanston 1PasswordAgent.log is not used by 1Password 7, so I would be inclined to think that you have a remnant of 1Password 3 still installed. You can remedy this by following the instructions here and then deleting the log file.

• stevanston
    stevanston
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to move it as suggested and see what happens. It may well be from an old version of 1Password, I've been using it for ages. What gives me pause is that the time and date stamp shows that it's being updated so something is writing to it for some reason, whether that's the current version of 1Password (I just recently updated to 8 from 7). Thanks for the suggestions, I'll report back.

• @stevanston,

if something is writing to it then you definitely have residual pieces of 1Password 3 installed, the instructions I linked in my prior response should get you into a state where the pieces that are writing anything are removed. 1Password 7 definitely never used that file, nor did 1Password 6.

• stevanston
    stevanston
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for the suggestions. Here's the update. Moved the file out, nothing else was written to it, 1Password 8 works fine. What's strange is that there are no files anywhere related to 1Password 3 or any older versions for that matter other than com.agilebits.onepassword7-updater. So all's well that ends well, but it also ends a bit weird still, or at least a bit of a mystery. But hey, everything works, so no matter!

• @stevanston

I'm happy that everything is working again. 🙂

-Dave