MacOS/iOS settings for using 1Password Passkey instead of Apple

Options
birdmeister
birdmeister
Community Member
edited April 10 in Mac

What are the proper settings on MacOS/iOS for using 1Password as my Passkey provider instead of Apple?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @birdmeister

On your Mac, you will want to make sure that you have 1Password in the browser installed in your browser of choice to save and sign in with passkeys on websites: Get 1Password for your browser.

On your iOS device, you will want to follow the steps below on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 17 to save and sign in with passkeys:

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone/iPad.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select the entry in the list for 1Password.

Once you have followed those steps on your iOS device, you will now be able to save and sign in with passkeys from 1Password in apps and browsers.

• asportnoy
    asportnoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jac.pd_1p, will passkey filling be added to the system settings on macOS like on iOS? I have a non-browser app that supports passkeys/security keys, and it would be great to use 1Password to fill it without having to scan the QR code with my phone instead.

• jac.pd_1p
    Options

Hi @asportnoy

Apologies for the delay in replying back to you here! Whilst the focus is on offering saving and signing in with passkeys using 1Password in the browser right now, could you tell me which app this is so that I can pass this over as a feature request to the Product team to consider further? I'm not aware of a big list of non-browser apps that support passkeys so any that I can add to the list is helpful for the team. :)

• asportnoy
    asportnoy
    Community Member
    Options

This is the Discord app. It's not listed on passkeys.directory for some reason but it does now support passkeys/security keys for MFA.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@asportnoy

Thanks for the reply. It looks like Discord only supports using passkeys for MFA, not sign in. For passkeys to be added to passkeys.directory they need to be supported for sign in to the service in question.

I'll let the team know that you'd like to see more support for using passkeys in desktop apps be added to 1Password. For the time being, scanning the QR code using your mobile device and signing in using 1Password there is the best option.

Thank you for the feedback! 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39224511