Copy OTP Code when using Passkey as Primary Auth

Options
Smigit
Smigit
Community Member

Loving the Passkey support on iOS for the most past, but I’m finding there are a select few services where enabling Passkeys will replace the username + password authentication in favour of a Passkey, but then login will prompt for a OTP as a secondary authentication.

With a standard username + password auth, the 1Password can be configured to copy a OTP to the clipboard which makes the OTP prompt that follows the initial authentication nice and quick via paste, assuming it doesn’t autofill.

However, if there is no username + password prompt and a passkey is used as the primary authentication, it seems that the associated OTP is not copied to the clipboard as part of the Passkey auth process. If you then hit a OTP prompt you then need to launch 1Password, search for the service and copy the OTP to log in which is a slower process than not having Passkey auth at all and using the old username+password method.

The prominent example of this I hit frequently is PayPal which supports Passkey as a primary authentication backed by a OTP. I assume there will be some others but.

Could 1Password support copying a OTP if a Passkey for a particular login is requested, the same way the OTP can be copied to the clipboard for a username+password autofill. Unsure if there are any limitations with iOS, but hopefully that’s note the case. When passkeys are used 1Password loads momentarily which suggests it may be possible to copy a OTP.

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.1.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @Smigit! 👋

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I can confirm that the team is able to reproduce the same behaviour and we have an internal issue open for our developers to look into having the one-time password be copied to the clipboard after a passkey is used for a service like PayPal that requires both. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update.

For now, as you mentioned, you can copy and paste the one-time password from the main 1Password app. Thank you for reporting the issue.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24349

• Smigit
    Smigit
    Community Member
    Options

No problem :) Glad to hear the intended behaviour is that OTP codes will be copied to the clipboard and that it’ll be looked at.

• Thank you again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• mlaferle
    mlaferle
    Community Member
    Options

I literally did my first passkey today, on PayPal, and had this same experience and found this article before I posted my own. +1 for this!

• @mlaferle

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, for now you can copy and paste the one-time password directly from the 1Password app. I've added your report to our internal work item open for the issue.

-Dave

• @Smigit and @mlaferle

The issue where 1Password wouldn't copy your 2FA one-time password to the clipboard when signing into an app or website using a passkey has now been resolved as of the latest stable update! 🎉

Please update to version 8.10.24 or later: How to keep 1Password up to date

Thank you again for your patience and your reports. If you still see the issue after updating 1Password then please let me know.

-Dave

• Smigit
    Smigit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• Thanks again for reporting the issue! 🙂

-Dave