2fa question

Options
telUK
telUK
Community Member
edited November 2023 in Mac

Hi

Im just wondering about the best method to set up 2fa for my 1password account, I have it setup and get the code from an authenticator app on my phone so that I can get into the web account, and any new devices I setup with the 1p app.

Is it possible to also store the code in my 1password app on say my Mac?

Just in case say I lost my phone that stores the authenticator app.

If I can do this is it maybe not recommended?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

Actually just thinking, best to leave my 1p code in a separate authenticator app and just put other less important ones stored in 1p.

My authenticator app has a backup anyway and Im normally logged into multiple 1p apps on different devices so presume if any issue 1p support could disable 2fa on my account in worst case scenario?

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Save me starting a new thread, just one quick question, I have just installed the app on my MacBook, It stores my 1password account login which contains my email and master password, is this safe to keep in the vault or should I delete it?
    Im guessing it doesn't matter because if someone got into my vault they would already know the password.
    Please advise.

Thanks

• Hello @telUK! 👋

Thank you for the questions! When you create your 1Password account, an item containing your account's email address and account password will be saved to your account. This item is end-to-end encrypted, as all of your items are, and it's safe to keep the item where it is.

As you mentioned, someone would already need to know your account password to access the item.

Is it possible to also store the code in my 1password app on say my Mac?

I don't recommend doing this since it's a little bit like storing the key to a safe inside of that safe. Always save your one-time password for your 1Password account in a different authenticator app like Microsoft Authenticator or Authy.

Your one-time password is only required the first time that you add your 1Password account to a new device. If you lose your authenticator app but still have access to the 1Password app on any of your devices, you can use the app to turn off two-factor authentication and login again: If you lose access to your authenticator app or security key

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P

I was a 1p user a year ago and forgot some of these things so needed a refresh, I also didn't realise the two factor could be turned off in the apps, I always thought it could only be disabled via 1p website account login, good to know!

Cheers

• @telUK

On behalf of Dave, you're welcome. Have a great weekend.