1PW and 4 helpers running in background

Options
TripleHjr
TripleHjr
Community Member

I bring Activity Monitor up on my iMac27 and find that 1PW and four 1PW Helpers are running in the background--why are they hogging CPU?

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.6.1
Browser: safari

Comments

• Hello @TripleHjr! 👋

Thanks for the question! macOS will automatically distribute system resources as needed to the various apps installed on your Mac. The processes that you're seeing are part of the 1Password desktop app and browser extension and they perform various tasks including keeping the 1Password service running in the background (so that you can use features like Quick Access and Universal Autofill even if the main window is closed) and maintaining communication between 1Password for Mac and 1Password in the browser (so that the app and browser extension share the same lock state and so that you can use Touch ID and Apple Watch unlock with the extension).

Are you seeing high CPU usage by one or more of these processes? Or are you seeing any other performance issues?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave--I love your 1PW!!!--I have a 2019 iMac27 with Intel cpu and fusion drive so it slogs along--(waiting for next 27 inch) but noticed 1PW app and updaters at or near top of CPU page many times in Activity Monitor--

• @TripleHjr

Thanks for the reply. The amount of system resources being used will depend on a few different factors that include, but are not limited to:

1. Whether 1Password is locked or unlocked.
    2. Whether 1Password's main window or Quick Access is open.
    3. What you're using 1Password for at the moment.
    4. How many items you have saved in 1Password.

The percentage will also depend on how many resources your Mac has in total. I've just checked Activity Monitor on my M1 Macbook Air and this is what I see:

1Password is unlocked on my device but the main window is currently closed. Are you able to share what you see on your Mac?

-Dave

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave--I unlock 1PW every morning as I light off my iMac27--I depend on it--I just took a screen shot of the Activity Monitor right now after system has been running all day but I've been on the links--

• @TripleHjr

The Mac shows it is largely unused with 96.89% free. Only a small percentage is in use and 1Password is 0%. If you search for 1Password in the upper left-hand corner you'll be able to just show the 1Password processes. Based on the screenshot it would be minimal at this time.