How to save passkey for existing login

Options
kpmtl
kpmtl
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Mac

Hi there, I updated to 1pw8 after happily using 1pw6 for many years... solely to use passkeys. :)

I now need to update an existing saved login to add a passkey, but the site is not in your directory – probably because it's a feature available only to employees of my organization.

I looked over the instructions and not seeing how to add a passkey manually – either for an existing or new login:

To save a passkey, find an existing login that now supports passkeys using Watchtower or create a new account on a passkey-supported website. Depending on the website, you may need to create an account with a username and password before you can create a passkey.

When you choose the option to create a passkey, 1Password will offer to save it. If you have an existing Login item for the website saved in 1Password, you can choose to update it by adding the passkey. Or you can save the passkey as a new item.

"When you choose the option to create a passkey" - where is this option? Is it never shown if the site is not in your directory?

Furthermore... I just looked in Watchtower and I see no indicators of any sites in my vault that support passkeys, even though there definitely are some, like Github. "Check for passkeys" is checked off in settings.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.16
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @kpmtl! 👋

Thank you for the question! You can certainly save passkeys to your existing Login items. First, make sure that 1Password in the browser is installed:

Then follow the steps in our guide to save a passkey: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

When you save a passkey in 1Password for a website whose credentials you've already saved in 1Password, a prompt will appear asking you if you wish to save the passkey as a new Login item or update the existing Login item.

That being said, I see that you're already discussing the situation with my colleagues over email, please continue the discussion there and they can help further. To prevent duplication of effort, I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: JUH-71297-737

This discussion has been closed.