Unlocking 1Password on Apple devices

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Disable master password on iOS like LastPass.

Comments

• Sigil
    Sigil
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. My iPhone, iPad and Mac are all protected by Face ID. Why do I need to enter a master password to autofill my credentials? With 2FA this, becomes overkill. Moreover, the Apple watch unlock feature is not reliable. I end up manually unlocking the 1Paswword app over half the time. The app doesn't ask me, so I click the watch icon and the prompt is so fast that I can't activate my watch fast enough. Sometimes, there is no option and I must manually unlock. I have given up unlocking via the browser. The mobile experience is problematic too. I try to unlock via the icon in the field and it doesn't work. Also, I use the keyboard option and I am just repeatedly clicking it, but nothing happens. I end up opening the app and copying and pasting my credential into the browser fields. I have now saved frequent usernames and passwords in my clipboard app. I have turned off the mobile Safari extension. I have better luck with the keyboard prompt. That said, the heavy handed security, using 2FA and the bugs make 1Password a chore to use. My fiance is already back on Keychain.

• Hello @Sigil! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into a few different issues when using 1Password on your Apple devices. I've split your comment into a separate thread so that we can discuss your situation separately. I'll reply below:

My iPhone, iPad and Mac are all protected by Face ID. Why do I need to enter a master password to autofill my credentials?

On the iPhone and iPad, when you use iOS AutoFill (the "Passwords" prompt above your keyboard) to save or fill or login, you'll be prompted to unlock 1Password. To unlock 1Password more conveniently I recommend that you turn on Face ID (or Touch ID) unlock for 1Password itself:

Face ID is not available on the Mac, do you mean that you use Touch ID to unlock your Mac? If you do then I recommend that you turn on Touch ID unlock for 1Password as well:

You can choose how often 1Password locks: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Moreover, the Apple watch unlock feature is not reliable. I end up manually unlocking the 1Paswword app over half the time. The app doesn't ask me, so I click the watch icon and the prompt is so fast that I can't activate my watch fast enough. Sometimes, there is no option and I must manually unlock.

That definitely doesn't sound right. So that I can better understand the situation, can you tell me if you're using the "sleep focus" when this issue occurs? Or does it occur when your Mac is just waking from sleep?

using 2FA

If you choose to enable two-factor authentication for your 1Password account (which is optional), then it is only required the first time that you add your 1Password account to a new app or device. Are you seeing different behaviour?

Once I've helped you with these issues I can help you with the filling issues on your mobile devices as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#19987