1Password Disappeared from my iMAC

Options
Cirrus22
Cirrus22
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Mac

I was screen sharing my iMac and noticed the 1Password APP was NOT in the DOCK (I have it there fixed). I looked in Applications, it's not there. There is still an extension in EDGE for Mac. I try and look in there, fortunately when 1Password extension opens with the correct password to open it, it is able to access the 1Password data (thank insert deity here).

Has 1Password been hacked? Yes I did the spotlight search and found the 1Password Emergency KIT, but the app no longer exists anywhere on my system (i9 iMAc 64Gb RAM 2Tb disk). NO I did not delete them, no there is nothing in trash.

What is going on? I assume EDGE is getting the data from the webisphere and not from my system. So what happened to the application? (and even if I was to delete the app, I would have been asked for my system password before I would have been allowed to delete it.

Whilst I know I can reinstall the app, this is very troubling. Where did 1Password go?

here's what's on my iMac:

1Password Version: NOT SURE, but Latest
Extension Version: 2.17.1
OS Version: macOS 12.7.1
Browser: EDGE

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @Cirrus22! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry that you're not able to find the 1Password desktop app on your Mac. Even if the desktop app isn't installed, 1Password in the browser has its own connection to your 1Password account in the cloud and allows you to access your items. All of your items are backed up to 1Password.com and are still available, even if you lose access to the app.

Is it possible that macOS might have moved 1Password to one of the following folders after an update:

That being said, you can reinstall 1Password from our website to get up and running again.

-Dave

• Cirrus22
    Cirrus22
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

It wasn't so much that I could not get at the app from your website, but that it was so brutally, without notice removed. I did find it here:

That' .....relocated items>incompatible

For a piece of software that is as consequent as 1Password, that's pretty disgusting that there are not huge banner ads or simply leave the software in-situ so you can click on it and it says you need to upgrade to work with this version of the software. The arrogance of Apple never ceases to amaze and sadden me.

Thanks for getting back

• @Cirrus22

I'm happy that you were able to find the missing app. We'll keep an eye out for further reports of this behaviour, if you'd like to file feedback with Apple you can do so here: Official Apple Support

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Cirrus22
    Cirrus22
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for this rather disconcerting behaviour. I'll pass on the Apple feedback this time, don't want to get bogged down in sending log files I no longer have etc, but good advice for next time (sic).

If something like 1P goes A/T I am in a genuine world of hurt, so you get my angst.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• We're here to help if you do run into any other issues. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• SantaMonicaD
    SantaMonicaD
    Community Member
    Options

Exact same problem, installed the MacOS Ventura 13.6.3 update, and 1Password got nuked. Like Cirrus22, it had been moved to the /users/shared/relocated items/incompatible.

If I try to run it, it says it is damaged or incomplete.

• @SantaMonicaD

I'm sorry that the 1Password app was moved by macOS on your Mac. You can read more about the behaviour here: If a Relocated Items folder appears on your Mac after upgrading macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Unfortunately there don't appear to be clear rules about when or why something is moved to that folder.

You can resolve the issue by downloading and reinstalling 1Password from our website: Download 1Password

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave