PayPal 2FA

Options
noctooh
noctooh
Community Member

I am having serious troubles with 1password and PayPal 2FA. For a long time, the app didn't give me the option to auto-fill 2FA when login into the PayPal app on the latest iOS with the latest updates to both PayPal and 1password. Then, a few weeks ago, it started offering me to auto-fill 2FA, however, it puts in something completely wrong. At first, I thought maybe the 2FA just ran out of time by the time I clicked on login, but I can confirm, it just puts different numbers in.

This is extremely frustrating, I don't experience the same issues on Windows.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @noctooh! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with two-factor authentication in the PayPal app. On the iPhone and iPad, 1Password relies on iOS AutoFill to fill your username and password and AutoFill doesn't currently allow us to also fill your 2FA one-time password.

However you can have 1Password automatically copy your one-time password for an app or website to the clipboard so that you can paste it into the app when filling your login information:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings.
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Turn on "Copy One-Time Passwords".
    5. Go back to Settings.
    6. Tap Notifications.
    7. Turn on "One-Time Passwords".

Then fill a username/password into the app again. You should see a notification that 1Password has copied the one-time password to your clipboard. You can then paste the one-time password into the app: Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

-Dave

• noctooh
    noctooh
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thank you for your answer, Dave! Unfortunately, the app automatically uses face-id to authenticate the login, meaning, no actual username/password gets exchanged, however, it'll still always ask for the 2FA for additional security (which cannot be turned off, unless the entire 2FA gets disabled).
    Therefore, those notifications do not pop up, nor does the copying of the 2FA happen.

The app itself recognizes that I am trying to log into PayPal and offers to fill in the 2FA. However, it fills in wrong numbers.
    Here is a screenshot as proof that it offers 2FA. I only have this issue with the app, not in Safari, nor on Windows. Furthermore, I don't have this issue with any other site/app.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

@noctooh

Thank you for posting the screenshot. Is it possible that you've saved your Login for PayPal into iCloud Keychain? It looks like the one-time password suggestion is coming from there. Check the following:

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
    2. Tap Passwords.

Do you see PayPal saved here? If you do then I would make sure that the information is saved into 1Password and then I'd recommend deleting the item from iCloud Keychain. Once this is done see if you're still seeing the suggestion.

If you don't see PayPal in iCloud Keychain then let me know.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26680

• noctooh
    noctooh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response, Dave. You ended up being correct, I migrated from iCloud Keychain to 1password and didn't bother deleting my old credentials, I did however at some point activate and deactivate my 2FA on PayPal for testing, thus, resetting it.

It was, as you accurately predicted, pulling the 2FA data from the Keychain, leading to a wrong 2FA fill in. I exported my PayPal profile from 1password and re-imported it into the Keychain.

Now I am getting 2FA from it for PayPal. Even though it isn't coming from 1password itself, I don't mind using Keychain as a crutch in this case.

This solves my issue and I am very grateful for your quick and helpful responses!!

• @noctooh

I'm happy that we were able to solve the mystery. I did notice that iCloud Keychain will still suggest a one-time password even if it's turned off for iOS AutoFill and I've asked our team to look into reporting this to Apple for further investigation.

The steps in my first post talk about using 1Password to enter your one-time password if you're interested in doing that in the future rather than using iCloud Keychain. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26680

• noctooh
    noctooh
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I couldn't do the steps you described because I am technically not logging into the app. I only do that for the first time setting PayPal app up. After that, it will use Face-ID to authenticate and then direct to 2FA. Since no login in the traditional sense happened, 2FA does not get copied from 1password.

I could, I guess, disable the Face-ID check but then it will default asking for my PassKey and the same thing as with the Face-ID check happens again. Only if I disable Face-ID, click away the Passkey, use the password, only then will 1password copy the 2FA into my clipboard and I need to be lucky enough to have enough time to paste it before it runs out of time.

Not ideal at all. I hope this crutch solution remains as that would be the easiest way of dealing with the problem.

• @noctooh

Ah, I see that you mentioned that above. I'm sorry for missing that. I'm not sure what options are available for improving the situation with the PayPal app from 1Password's end but I've passed along your feedback to the team. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24349
    ref: dev/core/core#26331

• noctooh
    noctooh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Dave! For now, I got a solution that works for me so everything is alright on my end. Much appreciated!

• I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave