Ask for Master Password on restart

Options
D@ve
D@ve
Community Member
edited January 5 in Mac

I want to set up my devices (Mac and SmartPhone) to ask for the master password if the device is restarted.

Is this possible? I'm sure that I once had this setting on Android...

Especially on a mobile device this is an essential functionality, since biometrical unlock is a potential unsafe method (mobile phones are covered with finger prints).

Is it possible to remotley lock 1password (in case of a stolen phone)?

Best regards
Dave

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @D@ve,

Thanks for asking about unlocking 1Password with Touch ID on Mac and iPhone. I'm glad to share that 1Password securely stores information needed to unlock with Biometrics using the secure enclave on these devices, which allows biometrics like Touch ID and Face ID to remain usable across reboots. This works in part due to the device being locked and encrypted after reboot, until the device passcode is entered, which then enables features like Touch ID for 1Password. At this time, there isn't a setting to force 1Password to also be unlocked with an account password after rebooting, but this is how 1Password functions on Windows and Android due to differences in the available hardware and security guarantees those operating systems provide.

If you do lose control of a device, there are a few options to help prevent unauthorized access to it.

• If possible, utilize features such as Find My to remotely lock or erase the device. This will help protect everything on the device, including 1Password data.
    • On the profile page of the 1Password website, it's possible to deauthorize a device. Doing so will lock the 1Password app if it's currently unlocked and connected with the 1Password servers. If the device is offline, the change will take effect when it next connects. The account will then need to be unlocked with additional account details before 1Password can be accessed again.
    • 1Password can be configured such that biometric unlock is only available for a day, a week, two weeks, or 30 days. After this time has elapsed, an account password would be required to unlock the account and enable biometric unlocks again. If you are concerned you may lose the device and the biometric features of the device may remain usable by someone other than yourself, consider not using the "Never" option, or picking a shorter "Require password "option in the 1Password Security settings in each 1Password app.
    • You can also disable biometric unlock entirely, and instead rely on the device passcode or your account password, to unlock 1Password.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you,