Cleanup old files on Mac and iOS

Options
MFLYrQP
MFLYrQP
Community Member

I just upgraded from 6.8.9 to 8 and would like to ensure I clean up all of the old 1password vault files as part of best security practice.

I have the back up folder on my Mac which I've created a secure backup (aescrypt) of the latest vault backup from and dropped it on a NAS.

can this now be deleted? : /Users/username/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

However, I also had sync to iCloud across all my iOS devices and the Mac. I've removed the old 1password app and associated data from each iOS device however want to be sure that the old vault files are also removed from my iCloud account.

Who knows if my iCould account will get hacked and a copy of any old vaults taken.

Is there a guide on how to do this?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9 & 7.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac & iOS
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited January 8
    Options

Hello @MFLYrQP! 👋

Thank you for the question! If, after upgrading to 1Password 8, you can see all of your items in their correct state when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app) then you can remove any files leftover from 1Password 6.

⚠️ CAUTION: Do not proceed beyond this point without first verifying that you can see all of your items when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app). The steps below will permanently delete information stored by 1Password 6 and iCloud.

1Password 6 stores files in the following locations:

• If you're using the website version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/
    • If you're using the Mac App Store version: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

If you were using iCloud for sync, and the vault in iCloud wasn't removed as part of the migration process, then you can remove it by following these steps on a Mac:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings.
    3. Click on your Apple ID.
    4. Click iCloud and then click Manage.
    5. Remove 1Password's entry if you see one. This will permanently and irrevocably delete vault information stored on iCloud.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave