Setting up 1Password on a MAC Pro

Options
astandre
astandre
Community Member

I have successfully set up 1Password on my PC, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads. I'm having tremendous difficulty in setting up 1 PASSWORD on my MACPro. It seems successful after setting up extensions in Safari, Chrome and autofill for apps such as Zoom. BUT every time I think the process of setting up has been successful multiple little windows pop up to sign in with Keychain despite my turning it off in all places I can find it. Is there a comprehensive set of instructions that can help me complete the set up and keep Keychain from getting in the way?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @astandre! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when using 1Password on your Mac. Are you only seeing the Keychain prompts when you're using Safari? Or when you're using other apps and browsers as well? Can you try the steps in the following article:

If that still doesn't work then make sure that Keychain isn't selected for AutoFill:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings.
    3. Click Passwords.
    4. Click Password Options.
    5. Turn off "Autofill Passwords and Passkeys".

If you still see the prompts from Keychain then can you post a screenshot of what you see? Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot.

-Dave

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, I've tried a few more things since your response and I'll see if they fix the problems. One I added was Command\ to activate autofill and that has helped
    As to your comments. I read the link "turn off the built in..." but The Option make 1 Password the default was not an option under Settings> General. I also chose the Apple>Settings>Password. When I chose Password it was locked and I had to enter the MAC password stored in keychain to open Passwords. After entering it I check autofill and I had turned it off on the past. Thanks for your help. I'll turn off the MAC and try everything again to see if all is now operational with Keychain not getting in the way

• astandre
    astandre
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

Here is I found this am upon opening up the MAC. There were two pop ups as per the attachments. The first is the request for 1Password. I entered the MAC's password and this second window opened asking for an iHelper password. I cancelled this. Then things proceeded satisfactorily.
    Is there a way to eliminate these windows from appearing?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@astandre

Thanks for the reply and for those screenshots. Keychain is used by your Mac to store various credentials and tokens that different apps, including 1Password, use. The Keychain allows your Mac to remember your logins so that you don't need to login to various apps each time that you use them.

The prompts that you're seeing seem to indicate that Keychain is locked and that your Mac password is required to unlock it so that apps like 1Password can use it. Can you restart your Mac again and see if those prompts come up again? If they do then try these steps:

1. Launch the "Keychain Access" utility that comes with macOS. If you see a prompt asking you to manage your passwords in System Settings, click “Open Keychain Access”.
    2. In the left-hand sidebar, right-click on login.
    3. Click "Change settings for keychain 'login'".
    4. Make sure both options here are unchecked.
    5. Click Save.

Then restart your Mac again and let me know if the prompts appear again.

-Dave