Universal Autofill issues

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: No auto-type in 1PW8?.

Comments

• nomad55
    nomad55
    Community Member
    edited January 8
    Options

I'm on a mac and that current auto-fill/type is also useless for me, since i don't always have a window or native fields to put into, but only restricted renderings in a webpage, aka. WebConsoles for VirtualMachines or Citrix Light Client. I have a login-form with username, password and then a field combining the OTP code with a 6 digit static code in front of it (to salt the otp, wtf) to login. I have to do this multiple times a day, also in a browser viewer in a virtual-machine, so no native browser fields, only webgl renderings. I now use a apple-script layed on a shortcut which interacts with 1password cli to get the pw and otp and send those keystrokes in the script.

A solution similar to the keypass feature would also greatly benefit my workflow!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @nomad55! 👋

We've split your comment into a new thread on the Mac category to keep the other thread focused on the experience on Windows. 🙂

On the Mac, 1Password 8 features Universal Autofill which allows you to fill your login credentials into Mac apps. Is the Universal Autofill feature what you're using when you refer to "auto-fill/type"? You can read more about Universal Autofill here: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

I have to do this multiple times a day, also in a browser viewer in a virtual-machine, so no native browser fields, only webgl renderings.

What operating system are you running inside of the virtual machine? If you're running macOS then have you tried to install 1Password in the virtual machine itself to fill from inside of the virtual machine? I'm not very familiar with "WebConsoles for VirtualMachines" or "Citrix Light Client" so any other information that you can provide will help me file an issue with our development team.

-Dave

• nomad55
    nomad55
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave

Yes I know about the Universal Autofill and I already used it before. It works fine on my Mac, but only there. But I often need to use remote machines. The Operating Systems I work with remotely are mostly Linux and Windows. When I have to use the graphical interface it's mostly a web-console. Occasionally, also some sort of client software which renders the screen of the OS (example: Windows Remote Desktop). Some of these machines have no access to the Internet or the possibility to install software on them. But I need/want to enter secure (long and complicated) passwords there, and quite regularly the copy-paste function doesn't work (because of security concerns). I tried to use the Universal Autofill in the web-console or RDP client, but it doesn't do anything at all. The function of KeePassXC Autotype was then exceptionally helpful because it really types the characters as keystrokes, also allowing a bit of latency because these types of remote client have latencies as well.

For you to work/test with a pretty similar environment as I mentioned web-consoles are, I can recommend trying out Webtop (https://www.linuxserver.io/blog/2021-05-05-meet-webtops-a-linux-desktop-environment-in-your-browser). There you can start a linux distro in docker with a desktop environment and access it by using only your browser. This is from a technical point of view the same as other web-consoles (Vmware, Citrix, etc.). There you'll find that Universal Autofill will not work too.

If I could install 1password on those machines I agree, it's not a severe problem, but often I'm not allowed or don't want or can't (no internet) install the software.

But still, even if I can install 1Password, I still can't enter strange sequences as UsernameOTP+1234Password with Universal Autofill, which I also missed on my Mac.

• @nomad55

Thank you for detailing your use case. Universal Autofill will, by design, only fill into apps that have:

1) A valid code signature.
    2) Are linked to your Login item in 1Password or are recognized as a valid app for that login.

Universal AutoFill isn't currently designed to fill arbitrary fields on web pages which is why it won't fill logins into apps and forms open inside of the virtual machines that you're using.

That being said, I can certainly see how an "auto-type" functionality would be useful and I've filed a feature request on your behalf. Thank you for the detailed feedback. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37751723