MAC OS and Rich Icons? What are best practices? How can I turn them off?

Options
9AmberMoog
9AmberMoog
Community Member

I was under the impression it was better on a Mac OS to not have Rich Icons. I notice on my Mac that Rich Icons are now populating - previously I had them turned off, but can no longer find out how to turn them off.

Questions:
1. Is it still best practices for Mac OS to not have Rich Icons?
2. If so, how can I turn them off?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.23
Extension Version: not installed
OS Version: Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @9AmberMoog! 👋

Thanks for the question! I personally always leave rich icons on since it makes the 1Password user experience a lot more aesthetically pleasing and I'm confident that the feature is secure. However there is a small privacy risk with rich icons that you can read about here:

If you'd like to turn off rich icons then you can follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Privacy.
    5. Turn off "Show app and website icons".

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Dave for the timely response and information.

I'll check it out!

• Dave_1P
    edited January 18
    Options

Sounds good! Let me know if you have any other questions once you've taken a look. 🙂

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, I do have some follow-up questions.

I use 1P on my iMac and iPhone. As I mentioned above I was not able to turn off the Rich Icons on the iMac 1P vault, but once I turned them off on my iPhone via the app, they also turned off on the vault on the iMac. Thank you for the above resources and info. I have a follow-up question:

I only use the 1P Vault on my iMac - not the Safari 1P extension (though I do keep it up to date), What I do is copy and paste from the vault to enter credentials. I thought that was best practice - perhaps I am incorrect. Would you share the pros and cons, security wise, for using or not using the 1P Safari extension vs the 1P Vault on a Mac?

• @9AmberMoog

Thanks for the reply. I'll respond below:

I use 1P on my iMac and iPhone. As I mentioned above I was not able to turn off the Rich Icons on the iMac 1P vault, but once I turned them off on my iPhone via the app, they also turned off on the vault on the iMac.

That doesn't sound right, the setting doesn't sync between devices so turning it off on one device shouldn't affect the other. If you toggle the "Show app and website icons" setting on your iPhone again then do you see the setting change in 1Password on your Mac?

Can you also clarify what you mean when you say that "I was not able to turn off the Rich Icons on the iMac 1P vault"? Did you try the steps that I listed earlier?

I only use the 1P Vault on my iMac - not the Safari 1P extension (though I do keep it up to date), What I do is copy and paste from the vault to enter credentials. I thought that was best practice - perhaps I am incorrect. Would you share the pros and cons, security wise, for using or not using the 1P Safari extension vs the 1P Vault on a Mac?

By "1P Vault" do you mean the desktop app? If you do then I would also recommend installing 1Password in the browser. Copying and pasting isn't as secure as using 1Password in the browser to fill your logins since copying credentials puts them into your Mac's system clipboard, and many different applications have access to the clipboard.

1Password in the browser has some great features too:

• Automatically see suggestions for available logins right on page.
    • Receive suggestions for strong and secure passwords when signing up websites.
    • Be protected from phishing since 1Password will only fill a login into the real website, not a website masquerading as the real website.
    • Save and fill all sorts of information including: 2FA one-time passwords, credit cards, masked email aliases, and more.

You can read more about 1Password in the browser here: Get to know 1Password in your browser

1Password for Safari can be installed from the Mac App Store: ‎1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

RICH ICON ISSUE:

**You wrote: "That doesn't sound right, the setting doesn't sync between devices so turning it off on one device shouldn't affect the other. If you toggle the "Show app and website icons" setting on your iPhone again then do you see the setting change in 1Password on your Mac?"
    ANSWER: This is an upshot of what occurred from the beginning for context:

1. Rich Icons were turned off when I first downloaded 1P and have been off ever since
    2. Recently I noticed some icons were now rich icons and that surprised me.
    3. Thinking that something had changed, I searched for how to turn rich icons off again and couldn’t located it in the settings area - this was a user error - for whatever reason I missed the setting.
    4. I wrote to 1P and you gave me the directions, which I also misread as to the 1P Vault (iMac) however I was logged into 1P at the same time as on my iPhone and when I toggled off the Rich Icons on iPhone (which I don’t use normally), I noticed that the rich icons on the iMac 1P Vault also changed from Rich to generic. That surprised me.
    5. Per your most recent suggestion, I went to my 1P Vault on the iMac found my way though from Profile / Settings / Privacy and saw that "Show app and website icons" was toggled off. (This was never changed from when I first set it up)
    6. You suggested I toggled the "Show app and website icons" setting on my iPhone again as the making this change in the iPhone 1P App is not suppose to affect other devices. I did this and the result was SOME of the iMac 1P Vault icons changed to rich icons. I toggled the switch again on the iPhone and the icons returned to generic icons both on my iPhone 1P App and on the iMac 1P Vault. AGAIN, I tried toggling the "Show app and website icons" setting on my iPhone a 2nd time and the iMac 1P Vault was not affected.
    7. I took pictures but the answer is the some of the generic icons on my iMac 1P Vault did change to rich icons when I toggled the “Show app and website icons” setting. I did not reproduce that a second time. I hope that is clear and helpful.

**You wrote: " Can you also clarify what you mean when you say that "I was not able to turn off the Rich Icons on the iMac 1P vault"? Did you try the steps that I listed earlier?"

ANSWER: This was user error - I didn't see / misread your instructions - which were very clear for the iMac 1P Vault. I did change the setting in my iPhone 1P App (which I really don't use very frequently). My apologies.

1P VAULT on iMac vs 1P SAFARI EXTENSION

You wrote: "By "1P Vault" do you mean the desktop app? If you do then I would also recommend installing 1Password in the browser. Copying and pasting isn't as secure as using 1Password in the browser to fill your logins since copying credentials puts them into your Mac's system clipboard, and many different applications have access to the clipboard."

ANSWER: Yes, by 1P Vault, I mean the iMac 1P App. Thank you for the additional info. I've been able to install and set it up.

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    edited January 22
    Options

Many thanks with your help above!

I do have 2 follow-up questions.

Question 1: I installed 1P on the FireFox browser. In the article, "1Password in the browser" it states that as of 1/3/24, "When you set up the 1Password browser extension in Firefox for the first time, you’ll now see an additional option to enable or disable app and website icons". I did not see this choice. **What is it about and where can I find it? **

Question 2: I also received this 1Password Notification: "For a better browsing experience, competing sign-in popups are now hidden. 1Password now hides competing sign-in prompts while browsing so you can use your saved credentials. You can view and update this in the extension settings." ** What does this mean? And where in settings** [System Settings? Safari Settings? FireFox Settings?] **is it located? ** I did look in all the latter but didn't find anything related.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 22
    Options

@9AmberMoog

Thank you for the reply. When you turned "Show app and website icons" on using 1Password on your iPhone and you saw rich icons appear in the Mac app, were the icons visible in the normal item list in the centre column? Or in the list of search results?

We're aware of an issue where rich icons will display for search results even if "Show app and website icons" is turned off and I'm wondering if this might be an explanation for what you see.

Question 1: I installed 1P on the FireFox browser. In the article, "1Password in the browser" it states that as of 1/3/24, "When you set up the 1Password browser extension in Firefox for the first time, you’ll now see an additional option to enable or disable app and website icons". I did not see this choice. **What is it about and where can I find it? **

This behaviour will be introduced with version 2.19.0 of 1Password in the browser which isn't available for Firefox just yet. Our team is working to get the update released as soon as possible.

Question 2: I also received this 1Password Notification: "For a better browsing experience, competing sign-in popups are now hidden. 1Password now hides competing sign-in prompts while browsing so you can use your saved credentials. You can view and update this in the extension settings." ** What does this mean? And where in settings** [System Settings? Safari Settings? FireFox Settings?] **is it located? ** I did look in all the latter but didn't find anything related.

You can find the setting here:

1. Open Firefox.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Click Autofill.

The setting is designed to suppress sign-in prompts from other services to reduce confusion and to prevent them from conflicting with 1Password.

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    edited January 23
    Options

Dave,

Re: Question 1 above - Rich Icons ... Yes you are correct: Rich Icons show in list of Search Results for both the iMac 1P App and the iPhone 1P App. I guess that clears that up. But, as the rich icons show in the search results does that indicate the privacy issue I am trying to avoid by turning off "Show app and website icons" is still an issue as the Rich Icons appear in the search?

Also thank you for the answers to the other two questions!

• @9AmberMoog

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you ran into a known issue that our developers are already aware of and have coded a fix for which we're testing in the latest beta version of 1Password:

We’ve fixed an issue that caused app and website icons to show in some places when they were turned off.

If testing goes well in the beta, we hope to release the fix to the stable version of 1Password as soon as possible. I'm sorry for the confusion.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18541

• @9AmberMoog

I'm sorry for the double-post but I have good news! The rich icons issue has now been resolved with the latest update to 1Password.

Please update to version 8.10.24 or later: How to keep 1Password up to date

Thank you again for your patience and your report. If you still see the issue after updating and restarting 1Password then please let me know.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18541

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

Thank you and the 1Password team for the fix, but I still appear to have some rich icon issues:

1. I updated 1P for the Mac and when searching, it no longer shows rich icons. However the extensions show Rich Icons whether or not I search them?

2. When I use 1P for the iPhone, and search, the app no longer shows rich icons, however, it shows rich icons under “recent”?

• @9AmberMoog

Thanks for the reply. I'll respond below:

I updated 1P for the Mac and when searching, it no longer shows rich icons. However the extensions show Rich Icons whether or not I search them?

1Password in the browser has a separate setting for rich icons:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Click Appearance or Appearance & shortcuts (depending on the browser).
    4. Turn off "Show app and website icons".

When I use 1P for the iPhone, and search, the app no longer shows rich icons, however, it shows rich icons under “recent”?

I can reproduce this as well and I've filed an issue to have the team investigate further. Thank you for the report!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27471

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    edited January 25
    Options

Thank you Dave! I was able to turn off “Show app and website icons” in the Safari 1P and FF 1P extenions. The FF extension was a little different, but I found it.

Also, I appreciate your checking and filing an issue regarding the iPhone, and rich icons being found under “recent”.

• On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.