If menu bar retention is not enabled, it will automatically lock after a while

Options
kiritoeva
kiritoeva
Community Member
edited January 19 in Mac

1Password If the menu bar retention is not enabled, no matter how the setting is set, it will be automatically locked after a while. After the menu bar retention is enabled, it will be locked according to the time in "Settings -> Security -> Automatic Lock".

Is this a Bug?

What's the solution

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.23 (81023003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1 (23C71)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• @kiritoeva

Not a bug. The menu bar helper must be enabled for things like biometric use. If it's not in the menu bar and you close the browser window you'll be prompted for for your password in the browser. The menu bar app also handles things like background syncing. I recommend enabling it.

• kiritoeva
    kiritoeva
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy
    If that's the case, I recommend hiding menu bar ICONS without compromising functionality because I've also found that the 1p icon position always appears at the top of the list every time when I reboot the computer. Although I changed its location many times

• You are correct on both accounts. This is a known issue. I've added your feedback to the icon reordering as well as hiding the icon. :)

• ag_tommy
    edited January 19
    Options

Also, I use Bartender for my hiding of the icon. You may or may not be interested in another app. I thought I'd share. You may find it helpful.

• @kiritoeva

Thank you for the reply, the menu bar icon stays visible so that you have a visual indicator that 1Password is still open and unlocked in the background even if the main window is closed. Without the menu bar icon 1Password could be open in the background, with your items available to anyone who uses your computer, without you knowing.

That being said, I've passed your request along to the team.

I've also found that the 1p icon position always appears at the top of the list every time when I reboot the computer. Although I changed its location many times

We have an internal issue open to look into the menu bar icon not remembering its position and I've added your comments there. Thanks for reporting this!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#7325
    ref: PB-37883860