How to Choose Autofill from Vault or Collection on Desktop App?

Options
iwaddo
iwaddo
Community Member
edited January 19 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, on the iOS app I can choose the Collection or Vault used to autofill but I cannot seem to find the same setting on the desktop app. It must be there somewhere, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @iwaddo

To change which vaults are used for suggesting items, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, and choose Settings.
    2. Click "Accounts & vaults" in the sidebar.
    3. Turn on or off vaults as appropriate. Only vaults which are turned on will have their items suggested for autofilling.

Hope that helps! :)

— Grey

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

That seems to have worked, thank you.

Can I ask why the same functionality appears to be described differently in settings on iOS and macOS? seems odd.

Thank you for your help.

• @iwaddo

Thanks for the reply. The steps to change which vault are used with 1Password for Safari on iOS are similar:

1. Open Safari on your iOS device and navigate to any website.
    2. Tap the aA icon in the address bar, then tap 1Password
    • If you're using an iPad, tap the 1Password icon in the address bar.
    1. Tap on the icon with three lines inside of a circle, then tap Settings.
    2. Scroll down to, or tap, Accounts & Vaults.
    3. Turn off any vaults whose items you don't wish to see suggested in Safari.

Our browser extension is only available for Safari on iOS. If you're filling into other browsers or apps then you'll be using iOS AutoFill instead and that feature has a different way to choose which items you see:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If you’re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Select the desired collection or account after tapping Show filling suggestions from.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you. I had not realised there were two different things at play here. I am not sure I fully understand the difference, is there a knowledge article that you can point me towards.

I notice you use the word 'instead' but I seem to have both, is that a problem? I only use Safari on my iOS and macOS devices.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

• @iwaddo

Thanks for the reply. I use both as well:

• 1Password for Safari when saving and filling items in Safari on iOS.
    • iOS AutoFill in other browsers and iOS apps since 1Password for Safari doesn't work there.

So, in general: Use 1Password for Safari in Safari, use iOS AutoFill in other browsers and apps on your iPhone or iPad.

The links above lead to articles that explain each filling method in further detail. Let me know if things still aren't clear and I can try to clarify further. 🙂

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you, I've read both articles and will see if I now only get offered suggestions I want to see in all the correct circumstances.

One query though. In your post above your wrote ''if you're using an iPad, tap the 1Password icon in the address bar.' which seems correct, yet the 1Password for Safari article says 'If you're using an iPad, tap the Extension button in the address bar'.

Thank you for your help.

• @iwaddo

Thanks for the reply. On the iPad, the 1Password icon will only appear in the address bar after you'd completed the initial setup of 1Password for Safari (the steps in the article). Once you've done that, you can use the 1Password icon rather than going through the Extension menu.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1Password All good thank you

• I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave