Preparing Mac for trade-in

Options
BjoernKW
BjoernKW
Community Member

In preparing my MacBook Pro (2019, with T2 chip / secure enclave), I used "Erase All Content and Settings" of macOS to wipe the device. I've also deauthorized the device in the 1Password web admin panel.

However, I didn't log out of 1Password on the device before erasing all content.

Do I need to take any additional measures to make sure, no one can access my 1Password data, such as regenerating my secret key or can I rest assured that my data is safe after erasing all content on the device and deauthorizing the device?

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.19.0
OS Version: macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
Browser: Brave

Comments

• Hello @BjoernKW! 👋

Thanks for the question! I suggest that you follow Apple's official instructions on how to completely erase and prepare your mac for trade-in: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Once this is done you can indeed deauthorize the Mac from your 1Password account as you mentioned doing already:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    3. Scroll down and click the gear wheel button next to your lost or stolen device, then click Deauthorize Device.

There's generally no need to regenerate your Secret Key if you follow Apple's guide and also deauthorize the device. Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave