Paypal Can't Use Passkey in 1Password (either from browser or Paypal App)

Options
Giolon
Giolon
Community Member
edited January 24 in iOS

I have saved a passkey for Paypal to its entry in my 1Password vault. Paypal doesn't seem to be able to fetch its passkey from 1Password, whether I visit Paypal.com or if I launch the Paypal app. When I choose the login with passkey option, it brings up a QR code to scan - which is especially a problem when I'm using the phone that would scan the QR code. It should request the passkey directly from the 1Password app/extension the way that other passkey-supporting websites do.

This problem actually occurs I'm on iPad using Safari w/ 1Password installed and extension in Safari, or if I'm using iPhone using Safari or the Paypal app.

Steps:
1. Create a passkey in Paypal account and choose to save it in 1Password
2. Log out of Paypal
3. Log in to Paypal and choose Passkey/"Use Face ID to Log in"
4. Choose "Use iPhone, iPad, or Android device" if prompted
5. Observe pop-up w/ QR code.

I'm attaching a redacted screenshot of the interface that pops up inside the Paypal app when I try to login with a Passkey. The Paypal website produces a similar pop-up when taking the same steps as in the Paypal app.

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: 2.17.0
OS Version: iOS 17.3
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited January 26
    Options

Hello @Giolon! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not being prompted to use your passkey when signing into PayPal. On iOS devices, like the iPhone and iPad, 1Password relies on iOS AutoFill to save and sign in to apps and website using passkeys. As a first step, I'd like you to make sure that iOS AutoFill is setup to work with 1Password:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Select 1Password.
    5. Turn off any other password managers listed here.

Next, please check the settings in the 1Password app itself:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for iOS.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If you’re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Make sure that both "AutoFill" and "Show filling suggestions" are turned on and that "Show filling suggestions from" is set to either your entire account or to a collection that includes that vault where you passkey for PayPal is saved.

Then try to sign into PayPal again. Let me know if that gets things working for you. 🙂

-Dave