Best clean way to move from from 6 to 8

Options
ghostdog
ghostdog
Community Member
edited January 29 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I need help to move from 1Password 6 to 8 (I have 1Password 6 licensed).

I have 1Password 6 installed on Mac Sonoma with 1Password.agilekeychain file on Dropbox, everything works well.

1. What's the best and clean way to move to 1Password 8 without issues? maybe something like:
  • Install 1P8 (is possible run the 6 and 8 simultaneously without issues) ?
  • Or I need uninstall 1P6 first to install 8?
  • Once 1P8 installed, I just can import the 1Password.agilekeychain file in a new vault in 8, and that is? I'm thinking create a vault named 1Password6 to import the 1Password.agilekeychain file to leave the Private vault clean.
  1. I have more that 800 items with a lot of custom fields, 2FA's codes and tags.

this is one my major conerns about import the data automatically, there's any possible mess with the custom fields or mix on data or something wrong? You know, I don't want lose data, lose fields!, maybe I can live without the tags but not custom fields or 2FAs (one-time password), what about with the "previously used password" (I don't need those, but I just ask).

1. I read this: https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-1password-6-mac/ but to be honest is messy, why I need install 1Password 7? I even don't have a 1P7 license.

Thank You

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sonoma
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello @ghostdog! 👋

I'm happy that you're planning to migrate to a 1Password account and to 1Password 8! The best way to upgrade is to use our migration guide (which you linked to in your post):

That being said, we have a dedicated migration team that can help you through the process, please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com and the team can provide advice tailored to your situation. . After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave