Ventura Upgrade Broke Autofill Settings?

Options
eFlat7
eFlat7
Community Member

I just upgraded from macOS 12 to macOS 13 tonight and upon doing so, all of my "Autofill Behavior" settings have been erased in my vault. For example, I have multiple Google accounts in my vault, but only two that I want as login options, the others have been marked as "Never Fill" in their AutoFill Behavior settings, but after upgrading to Ventura, now all of them are listed as options when autofilling; editing the item revealed its autofill behavior had in fact been set to the default "Fill Anywhere" (despite the "modified" date not having changed.)

1) I can't really understand how this happened because isn't my vault in the cloud and doesn't really care what OS I'm using?? I mean, updating my OS surely wouldn't have modified my vault in anyway in the cloud right?? Then.... how or why did this happen?

2) Side question: why do we have to edit the actual item in order to change the autofill behavior? I depend on the "last modified" date as kind of a "quick estimate" of how old my password is (without actually having to dig into the PW history), but when I have to actually modify the item just to change something as simple and rudimentary as the autofill behavior, it changes the "last modified" date because of this --- when, in my mind at least, I don't consider the item to really have been modified just because I changed whether or not it autofills on any particular site. Is there a better or more efficient way of modifying this setting, or perhaps, a right-click "Disable Autofill" for this item -- that doesn't actually modify the "Autofill Behavior" settings for the item itself, but it does disable the item from being in Autofill regardless of the "Autofill Behavior" selection.

Thanks!!

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: macOS 13.6.4
Browser: Chrome 121.0.6167.139, Edge 121.0.2277.98

Comments

• Hello @eFlat7! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not seeing the same autofill behaviour as before. I'm not aware of any other reports of an update to macOS changing the autofill behaviour and I can't see how an update would be able to change anything about your items. It's likely that the update happening at the same time as you noticing different autofill behaviour is a coincidence and the cause of the changed autofill behaviour is something else. But I'm happy to investigate further so that we can get to the bottom of this.

1. When was the last time that you checked the "autofill behaviour" section for one of the affected items and confirmed that the behaviour was set to "Never fill on this website"? Was it recently?
    2. Can you check the item history to see what date the change was made, the item history allows you to restore previous versions of items.

Here's how to check the item history:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Click on All Vaults.
    3. Find and click on one of the items in question.
    4. Click View Item History.
    5. Restore a previous copy. Note the date of the version you're restoring.
    6. In the desktop app, check to see if the autofill behaviour is now "Never fill on this website".

Side question: why do we have to edit the actual item in order to change the autofill behavior? I depend on the "last modified" date as kind of a "quick estimate" of how old my password is

Changing the item's "autofill behaviour" changes the item which means that the modified date needs to be updated. The modified date includes any change to the item, including metadata changes. May I ask why you'd like to know how old your password is? If you're using a unique password for each website then there usually isn't a need to track the age of a password.

-Dave

• eFlat7
    eFlat7
    Community Member
    edited February 2
    Options

Hi Dave,

To answer your first question, I never check the "autofill behavior." I only looked into it last night because when I logged into a website, I noticed having several more autofill options than I usually do. When I looked into it, the autofill was now set to Default. As for when I last logged into that site, it could be before I installed the last 1P update, which I think was a week or so ago?

As for the second question, when I do restore a previous version, the previous versions also have the default "autofill behavior." None of them seem to have the desired "never fill" behavior on them -- despite the fact that they didn't autofill previously. I know this sounds crazy and you're probably thinking "that's not possible, you're clearly confused sir," but, I'm just telling you how it used to be, vs. how it was as of last night. I agree it seems implausible.

Regardless, I've corrected all of the entries, but I guess was more just saying "this was my experience" in the chance anyone else experiences this in the future, then you could say "Oh, someone else said this happened too...". Otherwise, just chalk it up to some combination of oddity and my being confused about something possibly.

Also curious, the Item History does not have the changes I made last night that were changes to the autofill behavior. The most recent version available is months or years old, so now I have to go change back again the autofill behavior for the items I restored because I can't restore to the versions that should be "2024-02-02" as there isn't one in the item history.

To the last question -- why do I want to know how old my password is? Because... why wouldn't I? Just because I use a unique password for each website doesn't mean I just shouldn't ever change it. There's all kinds of reasons why password changes should or could happen, including but not limited to, just user whim. Haha. Besides, I'm someone who just craves data -- I'd just like to know "Oh, I haven't changed this password since 2016..." which I know I can see from Password History --- or --- can I? In writing this response, I've just learned that some of my items don't have that option. This is implying I haven't changed my password for these items since 2016 when I created my original 1P vault, and I know that to be untrue for at least a couple of items (perhaps true for a few of them, though, that just doesn't sound like me).

Is it possible some data got lost or messed up when I converted from a stand alone vault to a cloud vault last year and I'm just now noticing it? That's the only thing I can think of to explain all of these oddities I'm noticing that I haven't noticed before.

• @eFlat7

Thank you for the reply. I'll respond below:

To the last question -- why do I want to know how old my password is? Because... why wouldn't I? Just because I use a unique password for each website doesn't mean I just shouldn't ever change it.

Regular password changes for no other reason but because an amount of time has passed is no longer recommended as a security practice by many cybersecurity experts and organizations such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). we recommend that you change your passwords if one of the following conditions is met:

1. The password for a website/account is not a secure and unique password generated by 1Password.
    2. 1Password's Watchtower sends you a warning that your password for a website/account has been reused or was found in a data breach.

You can read more about how Watchtower helps you keep your passwords safe here: Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

Also curious, the Item History does not have the changes I made last night that were changes to the autofill behavior. The most recent version available is months or years old, so now I have to go change back again the autofill behavior for the items I restored because I can't restore to the versions that should be "2024-02-02" as there isn't one in the item history.

That doesn't sound right. So that we can investigate this further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• eFlat7
    eFlat7
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

I did send the email with the attachment to the address you suggested at 17:28 (new york time). Never got a response from a Bot or got a Support ID number (and yes, I did check my spam folder).

I'll say this, though, that after signing out and back into the website, the versions from last night did show up in my history, so perhaps the issue is moot anyway. I still say I had some weird things happen when I migrated over (like, for example, tags became doubled up. Everything I have tagged, is tagged twice now. So if I click on, say, "Entertainment," everything shows up twice because its tagged twice.). But, essentially I guess I don't really have any specific issue anymore. More of just a "this has been my experience" if anyone else has issues similar in the future. Thanks! If the Support ID ever shows up, I'll be sure to reply with it.

• @eFlat7

It's there. Thank you for sending it. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: GSM-59268-494