Unable to save two-factor authentication for Instagram

Options
System
edited February 12 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to create 2FA for Instagram Account.

Comments

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, I wish to report the same issue. I've followed your steps in the thread and I have the same experience as others: 1P auto detects the QR code as part of IG's Enable OTP flow, it creates a OTP and updates my IG login but generated codes that I paste into the next page of Instagram's flow, to confirm that correct codes are being generated, fails. The box turns red and I am unable to move forward in the flow. I have tried a couple of generated codes but nothing works.

I have tried this process three times now. Here are some details that may help:
    1P v81024044 PRODUCTION channel
    macOS Sonoma 14.3
    Using Safari

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

Of course as soon as I send I spot some other detail. My updated 1P login has two OTP codes - the usual one underneath the password field and a second one under a Security section. The codes are different, but expire at the same time.

• @killpack

I'm sorry that two-factor authentication for Instagram isn't working. As a first step, I recommend that you do the following:

1. Login to Instagram.
    2. Turn off two-factor authentication for Instagram using their website or app.
    3. Delete both of the one-time password that you see saved for Instagram in 1Password.
    4. Follow the steps that I posted to save the one-time password again: Steps

Let me know if that works. 🙂

-Dave

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I followed the linked steps precisely but it still does not work - the validation step of the IG flow is still red. The message displayed says "This code isn't right. Please try again." I also tried with the next two generated codes. There was no option for me to unlink / disable or remove the 1Password app from IG's two factor, I've never been able to successfully set it up.

Is there a way I can enter the seed from IG into the 1P OTP generator? Perhaps the issue is the QR code scanner is incorrect.

• @killpack

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm: did you remove both of the one-time password from your Login item for Instagram in 1Password before trying the steps again?

Is there a way I can enter the seed from IG into the 1P OTP generator? Perhaps the issue is the QR code scanner is incorrect.

Yes, you can using the 1Password for Mac desktop app: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

When following the steps in the linked article, you can enter the seed from Instagram at step 4. Make sure that no one-time passwords are saved in 1Password before trying this. Let me know if that doesn't work and I can help further. 🙂

-Dave

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, to confirm - yes I had removed all OTP fields from my Instagram login before I started the steps. I followed your steps to seed the OTP manually but those codes were also rejected by the validation step of the IG flow "This code isn't right. Please try again."

• @killpack

I'm sorry that the manual process didn't work either. Can you please check that the time is correct on your device. The one-time password code changes every 30 seconds, so if your device is more than 30 seconds off, you’ll see an incorrect code.

To check the date and time settings on Mac, visit this website on your device:

If the date and time on a device doesn’t match, you can adjust it: Set the date and time automatically on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

If that doesn't work then can you tell me if one-time passwords saved in 1Password work on other websites? Is it only the one-time password for Instagram that isn't working? Or are one-time passwords not working for other sites as well?

-Dave

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, I confirmed that my laptop time is correct comparing the time on https://time.is to my system time. I also verified

• An existing login (linode.com) with already configured OTP is working correctly.
    • Successfully enabling OTP on another login (backblaze.com) using the same software.

At this point it appears to just be IG.

• @killpack

I'm sorry that things still aren't working. Do you have 1Password installed on your phone or tablet? If you do then could you scan the QR code using the camera and 1Password app on your mobile device? You can find instructions here: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Then, type the one-time password from 1Password on your mobile device into the Instagram website open on your Mac. Don't use the extension to fill it in and don't copy and paste it.

Let me know if that works.

-Dave

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, I followed your instructions and scanned the QR code from the app but the generated code is still rejected by the IG website on my Mac. I tried with a couple of other generated codes as well, no dice. App version is 8.10.24 running on iPhone 17.3.1.

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

I'm happy to get on a screen share to investigate this further if that would help. Send me a DM to arrange.

• @killpack

Thanks for the reply. So that we can investigate this further, can you send an email to support+forum@1Password.com with a link to this thread.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, I'd like to request a screen recording from your end and I can send you a secure upload link once I receive your email. 🙂

-Dave

• killpack
    killpack
    Community Member
    Options

ZCM-23726-777

• @killpack

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I see that my colleague has already sent you a reply, please continue the conversation there.

Since we have a communications channel now open via email, I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: ZCM-23726-777

This discussion has been closed.