Safari extension doesn't work on Safari Technology Preview?

Options
MCKLMT
MCKLMT
Community Member
edited February 14 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I hope you are doing well.
I run last Sonoma 14.4 beta 3 and I observed that 1Password extension doesn't work on Safari Technology Preview release 188.
Is it a known issue?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.24
Extension Version: 1Password version 2.20.0
OS Version: MacOS 14.4 beta 3
Browser: Safari Technology Preview 188

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

You are right
    it stays grey and nothing happens when clicked

• Hello @MCKLMT & @Gilles9, thanks so much for reaching out.

I can confirm that there is a known issue with 1Password for Safari running on Safari Technology Preview (188), I'm sorry for the trouble. I've added you both as affected users to our internal report for further investigation.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

-Evon

ref: dev/core/core#27828

• MCKLMT
    MCKLMT
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @EvonG1P,
    Happy to see you have identified the bug.
    Is there a way to track the resolution somewhere please?
    Thanks

• Hey there @MCKLMT, no problem at all, I'm happy to help. 🙂

While we can't give an exact timeframe on a fix, any updates will be posted on our website if you are interested -> 1Password Releases.

-Evon

• MCKLMT
    MCKLMT
    Community Member
    Options

Issue is still present with last Safari Technology Preview release 189 available since today. :(

• @MCKLMT

Thanks for letting us know you're still experiencing this issue! Our development team is still hard at work getting to the bottom of it. I hope the issue is resolved soon. :)

• MCKLMT
    MCKLMT
    Community Member
    Options

Version 2.21.0 is out but still not solve the issue 😐

• Dave_1P
    edited February 29
    Options

@MCKLMT

Our team is working with our friends at Apple to get this fixed and it looks like progress is being made.

Safari Technology Preview is an experimental version of Safari and it can be normal to see websites and extensions break more often. For the most stable experience, I recommend using 1Password with the regular version of Safari.

-Dave

• cwisniewski
    cwisniewski
    Community Member
    Options

I have also had problems with 1Password for Safari extension on Safari Technology Preview for some time (many weeks, i.e., several versions of the browser, the OS, the 1Password extension). Usually within a day or two I upgrade whichever component has a new version.For the past several months, I've had to run the macOS beta on all of my Macs, so I cannot use that as a control variable.

This latest failure of the 1Password for Safari extension when used from Safari Technology Preview manifests itself as:

1) a 1Password icon within the browser's toolbar that is somewhat smaller than seen for 1Password's other integrations with other browsers (including, surprisingly, standard Safari, which uses this same extension program) or other independent 1Password extensions/plug-ins from their respective browsers.

2) the ability to right-mouse/secondary-button clicking on the 1password icon within Safari Technology Preview's toolbar in order to display/navigate its menu items: Settings, Lock, Save Login, and Help > (plus the default "Manage Extension..." and "Customize Toolbar..." items). "Lock" correctly appears only when the main 1Password app is running and open. Choosing it will lock the main 1Password interface and the menu will be pre-rendered without the Lock item present.

3) No UI feedback whatsoever when simply clicking on the extension's icon that is located in the browser toolbar. On Safari, the icon responds to clicks and, when clicking on it, brings up vault interface as expected.

I have tried enabling and disabling the extension, clearing caches, restarting machine, removing and reinstalling Safari Technology Preview, double checking the extension's settings, etc., and none of these strategies have resulted in the extension working from within Safari Technology Preview.

Currently running:

1Password for Mac 8.10.26
    1Password for Safari 2.21.0
    Safari Technology Preview Release 189 (Safari 17.4, WebKit 19619.1.3.2)
    macOS Version 14.4 Beta 5 (23E5211a)

Though I have had my share of problems with the extension working on both Safari and Safari Technology Preview over the long haul, at least the recent release of the extension (and perhaps the one before that) has been working on on the standard release of Safari without incident, but using it from within Safari Technology Preview has been a no-go.

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @cwisniewski, thank you for writing in and sharing the details and your experience with 1Password for Safari on Safari Technology Preview.

I can confirm the issues you mentioned are known to our development team and we're actively working on a fix. I've added you as an affected user to our internal reporting.

Thank you for your continued patience.

-Evon

ref: dev/core/core#27828

• MCKLMT
    MCKLMT
    Community Member
    Options

Safari Technology Preview Version 190 has been released yesterday. It solves the issue with 1Password 2.21.0. 🙂

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you for confirming that Safari Technology Preview Version 190 has resolved the issue for you, the team can confirm seeing the same on our end. 🙂

-Dave