iOS: Tapping edit on an item will open a previously edited item in certain cases

Options

Comments

• Pekekl
    Pekekl
    Community Member
    Options

Hello
    I have the same issue with 1Password for iOS 8.10.26 81026039, sur le canal PRODUCTION (iOS 17.4 French system language dont know if that could help). It s really frustrating I don’t really know how could I bee assured the right password change is applied to the right account for example

• mixingsidecar
    mixingsidecar
    Community Member
    Options

Having this same problem multiple times a day for weeks at least. Please make this a higher priority. I cannot continue to use something that causes so much disruption in my workflow.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Pekekl and @mixingsidecar

I've made sure that the team is aware of the impact that the issue is causing for you both. I'm sorry for the confusion that the issue is causing, the team is actively working on a fix.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20148

• Pekekl
    Pekekl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave !

• Dave_1P
    edited March 14
    Options

@Pekekl

Hopefully a fix will be available soon. Thanks again for reporting the issue.

-Dave

• 1PWUser_5423556
    1PWUser_5423556
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. 1Password for iOS 8.10.26
    81026039, on PRODUCTION channel. iOS 17.4. iPhone 15 Pro.

• Blwood
    Blwood
    Community Member
    Options

This is getting worse. Now if you discard changes the data goes if save get 2 versions of the same login. Making the app very difficult to use. Going to be a deal breaker for me. Grrr

• ag_tommy
    Options

Sorry for the trouble folks. I'm also experiencing this and hope we'll have a solution soon. It's affecting us too. So we really do feel your pain.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited March 17
    Options

I have been having MAJOR issues with this for the last 3-4 weeks also! Took me a while to figure out what was happening so I've wiped out my OTP settings for 3 of my saved accounts without realising with no way to revert (I don't actually know which accounts two of them are)!!

I'm not sure if it's documented but I am seeing two related behaviours:

1. When you 'edit' an open item it ALWAYS opens the edit screen with the previous item you had open (which obviously could have been from days ago), not the one you actually had open and clicked edit on;

2. When you tap an item in the vault list just to open an item about 50% OF THE TIME it opens the item you previously had open the same as the edit issue above.

Very frustrating and shouldn't happen especially in this sort of app. It's only on iOS as I can see, not affecting my Windows or macOS apps.

I may be misremembering but I thought 1PW had a change archive so you could restore changes? Or is this only for the password field? Anyway not being able to immediately revert the change in these cases when you realise it's edited the wrong item is also frustrating...

EDIT: 1PW v.8.10.26 and iOS 17.3.1

• shouldhaveducked
    shouldhaveducked
    Community Member
    Options

Experience the same behavior using IOS 17.4 (21E219) | iPhone XR | 1Password 8.10.26. Lost permanent access to two accounts so far. Not a happy camper.

To avoid being in the same situation, confirm all access recovery paths work and backup codes are valid before modifying authentication factors.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 18
    Options

@Mycenius and @shouldhaveducked

I've passed along both of your comments to the team, I'm sorry for the disruption that the issue is causing to you both. You can always restore a previous version of your items by using 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

Once the previous version is restored you'll be able to find your login information from before the edit. Let me know if that doesn't work.

-Dave

• LoganBaker63
    LoganBaker63
    Community Member
    Options

I have been experiencing an issue in the iOS version of the app where I search for a login to edit and update, but when I select the edit button, it opens up a different login and if I'm not careful I end up editing the password to a completely different login and end up having to reset another password. This is very frustrating.

1Password Version: 8.10.26
    Extension Version: 81026039
    OS Version: iOS
    Browser: Not Provided

• Dave_1P
    Options

@LoganBaker63

I've merged your thread into the larger thread that's discussing the same issue so that we can keep the conversation in one place. 🙂

I'm sorry that you're running into issues when editing an item using 1Password for iOS. This is a known issue that our development team is actively working on and the team is planning to release a fix as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20148

• Dave_1P
    edited March 21
    Options

Hello everyone,

Our developers have released an update to 1Password that includes a fix for the issue where a previously edited item would sometimes show up when you tried to edit a different item. Please update to 1Password for iOS version 8.10.28:

You might see the issue a couple more times after updating as existing drafts are cleared out from the app, this is a data loss prevention measure. Thank you all for your patience while our developers worked to resolve the issue. If you still see the issue with version 8.10.28 then let me know and I'll be here to help.

-Dave

• elioa6
    elioa6
    Community Member
    Options

Did not resolve the issue for me. Happened right away after updating. This time when I hit edit on an entry it opened a random different entry, not even one I had recently edited or used.

• menditto
    menditto
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me every time.

• nNfEfRtqUHrmDWYdocjh
    nNfEfRtqUHrmDWYdocjh
    Community Member
    Options

@elioa6 @menditto Is this the case after the initial time. I observed as well that after the update, the first time I wanted to edit an item, as before, a previously edited item came up. But after that (even after closing 1Password and reopening it) the issue never happened again and it always opened the item in edit mode that I clicked on.

• elioa6
    elioa6
    Community Member
    edited March 21
    Options

@nNfEfRtqUHrmDWYdocjh So far that's been my experience too -- it happened a bunch of times right after I updated. Now it seems to have stopped. Hopefully it stays that way -- I'll report back if it doesn't.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 21
    Options

@elioa6, @menditto, and @nNfEfRtqUHrmDWYdocjh

I'm sorry for the confusion. It's normal that you might see the issue a few more times after updating as existing drafts are cleared out from the app. As a data loss prevention measure, the fix in 1Password for iOS version 8.10.28 ensures that new drafts are not "stuck" moving forward but it doesn't automatically clear existing drafts.

Once you clear out those existing drafts the issue should no longer occur. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• menditto
    menditto
    Community Member
    Options

How do we clear out or see existing drafts? @dave

• Huuuze
    Huuuze
    Community Member
    Options

Same question -- the solution to the bug is for users to keep enduring the error until it suddenly stops happening?

• Dave_1P
    edited March 21
    Options

@menditto and @Huuuze

Thanks for the question. When you edit an item and the wrong item appears, tap on Cancel and then tap on Discard Changes. You might need to do this a couple times before all existing drafts are cleared.

The fix will prevent new drafts from becoming stuck but it won't automatically remove drafts that were stuck before you updated to 1Password for iOS version 8.10.28.

-Dave

• AlphaNexus
    AlphaNexus
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve upgraded to the latest 1Password version in iOS, but this issue has not been fixed. Happens in both iOS and iPadOS, even on 17.4.1 released today.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 22
    Options

@AlphaNexus

Thanks for reaching out. You might run into the issue a couple more times after updating to 1Password for iOS version 8.10.28 and you'll first need to clear out any existing drafts that might be stuck from before the update. When you see the wrong item open, tap on Cancel and then tap on Discard Changes.

If you continue to see the wrong item being opened for editing when using 1Password for iOS then are you able to share steps that I can follow to reproduce the issue on my end? For example, does the wrong draft appear automatically when you first open the 1Password app? Or do you see the wrong draft only when you deliberately edit a different item?

This information will allow me to confirm whether you're running into a different issue and to investigate this further on my end.

-Dave

• AlphaNexus
    AlphaNexus
    Community Member
    edited April 10
    Options

This is still an issue on iOS & iPadOS. Ridiculous that it hasn’t been fixed yet. Click on an item to edit, do my edits, and then realize that it edited something different altogether. Sheesh.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@AlphaNexus

I'm sorry that you're still seeing the issue. Our developers continue to investigate a few edge cases that the last update didn't quite catch. The next time that you see the issue, can you try these steps:

1. Tap Cancel on the item draft that appears.
    2. Wait 2 seconds.
    3. Fully close the 1Password app: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)
    4. Open and unlock the 1Password app.
    5. If you see another draft, repeat steps 1-4 again.

The results will tell me more about the situation so that I can advise further. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#28720
    ref: dev/core/core#28645

• AlphaNexus
    AlphaNexus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing. It just catches you off guard, and sometimes it’s really detrimental when changing one-time passwords etc unless you catch it before saving the changes.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@AlphaNexus

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I've forwarded your feedback to our development team. For now, until the team release a permanent fix in a future update, using the steps in my previous reply is the best way to workaround the issue.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#28720

• AlphaNexus
    AlphaNexus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the response.