Google login in Safari and passkeys on Catalina

Options
joemcmahon
joemcmahon
Community Member
edited February 26 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm very much blocked from getting my Google account added to MacOS on my Catalina machine (it's a 2012 MPB, I'm stuck with Catalina).

When I try to log in, Safari is not picking up the passkey in 1Password, which is there, and which Chrome is happy to use. I think it's that Safari isn't integrated with 1Password, but the Safari extension for 1Password 8 isn't compatible with Catalina, so I can't download it.

Any suggestions welcome. ("get a new machine" is not a useful suggestion.)

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
Browser: Safari

Comments

• joemcmahon
    joemcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to fix things up like this:
    - Downgrade to 1Password 7.
    - Attempt to sign in.
    - "Get help" and "Try another way" until I was allowed to sign in via Gmail on my phone and enter 2FA code.
    - Safari continued through the authentication flow.

Not happy to have to downgrade but it solved the issue. It would be nice if the 1Password 8 Safari extension worked with Catalina.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @joemcmahon! 👋

Thank you for reaching out, I'm sorry that you ran into issues signing into your Google account. 1Password for Safari requires Safari 16 or later on macOS Big Sur 11 or later and you won't be able to use the modern extension with macOS Catalina and earlier versions of Safari: System requirements for 1Password

If you're unable to upgrade your Mac then may still be able to fill your passwords (but not passkeys) using Universal Autofill: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

If Universal Autofill doesn't work, and you're unable to upgrade your Mac, then using a different browser like Chrome or Firefox that does support the latest version of 1Password in the browser would be the best option.

-Dave