Bug when opening app after creating a new item or editing an item.

Options
strikingviolins
strikingviolins
Community Member

Opening iOS app will create duplicate of recently created item or recently edited item, continuously. It will open the app up directly to new item which makes it feel like you didn’t save the original item previously, but if you save it then it becomes a duplicate. The application is up to date as is the device and it been doing this for days now.

1Password Version: 1Password for iOS 8.10.26 81026039, on PRODUCTION
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 17.3.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @strikingviolins! 👋

I understand that you're seeing the wrong item already open when you unlock the 1Password app, that definitely isn't right. As a first step, can you restart your iPhone and then try to reproduce the issue again? If the issue does occur then can you tell me the following:

1. How are you opening the 1Password app when the issue occurs? By tapping on the icon from your home screen? By filling a login inside of another app?
    2. Does the item automatically open in edit mode?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• strikingviolins
    strikingviolins
    Community Member
    Options

It’s always been from opening the app so hitting the icon. Because I’ve had to open it to create a new item manually. it does automatically open in edit mode. Even after I’ve saved an item and then close the app but not editing a previous item instead, it’s created a new item. Just duplicate with everything filled out password username at all.. I can test out restarting it when I get home. I know it’s been a couple times the last few days.

• @strikingviolins

Thank you for the reply, let me know if the restart helps. I haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet on my own iPhone, are you able to reproduce the issue on demand or is it random? If you can reproduce it on demand then can you post a list of steps that I can follow to try to reproduce it on my end? For example:

1. Unlock the iPhone.
    2. Tap on the 1Password icon on the home screen and unlock the app.
    3. Tap....

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• strikingviolins
    strikingviolins
    Community Member
    Options

Sure I can list how it typically occurs, I've noticed its been random but only when doing these things specifically. Also I don't know if it matters but I have both a private account and my business account on my 1Password app.

This typically it starts with me being in an open application already and I am either creating new login or I am saving a login I created from the auto fill;

1. Leave the current application I am using
    2. Search for the 1Password application, tap the icon and unlock the app
    3. Hit the + icon and select create a new login
    4. Enter the normal information for a login
    5. Hit Save which closes the item's page
    6. Then I reopen the other application typically.

If I go back to the 1Password application it would open a Create New item with the item I just created with all credentials filled out, same name, password, website everything. This has repeated for one item 3 or 4 times and other items 2 or 3.

It has has happened to items I have opened to edit

1. Leave the current application I am using
    2. Search for the 1Password application, tap the icon and unlock the app
    3. In the search bar look up the item I want to edit and select it
    4. Hit the Edit button
    5. Make any changes
    6. Hit Save which closes the item's page
    7. Then I reopen the other application typically.

Which this is when if I navigate back to the app - no matter how much time has lapsed that it may create a duplicate of the item I just edited.

I have restarted my phone but it continues to do this intermittently, I managed over 20,000 Apple Devices in a Enterprise setting so i know some apps can have weird quirks on iOS or macOS similarly to how even if you change your setting to don't lock the app you still have to keep unlocking it on a mac so I figured it was just something like that.

• @strikingviolins

Thank you for those steps, I appreciate the detail. The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• strikingviolins
    strikingviolins
    Community Member
    Options

Sure I can do that. Thanks for your help with this!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you! The team will keep an eye out for your email. 🙂

-Dave

• Kurvenal
    Kurvenal
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing the same bug. Any progress on this matter?

• harrisonjagoward
    harrisonjagoward
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Would like an update. When I attempt to edit a recently created item, instead of taking me to the edit page of the item I pressed edit on, it opens the edit page for a totally different item.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 25
    Options

@strikingviolins, @Kurvenal, and @harrisonjagoward

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the issue has caused. Our developers recently included improvements to item management in the latest version of 1Password. Please make sure that you've updated and are running 8.10.28: How to keep 1Password up to date

If you still see the issue after updating then some existing older drafts may be stuck. To clear them, when you see the wrong item open, tap on Cancel and then tap on Discard Changes. You might need to do this one or two times.

If you continue to see the issue then let me know and I'll investigate further.

-Dave

• shahryarali
    shahryarali
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same problem, and I have verified that I am running version 8.10 28. Also, I have restarted my iPhone. It's hard to say when the problem started, it's been a couple of weeks now.

• iHass
    iHass
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having this issue. When I attempt to edit a recently created item, instead of taking me to the edit page of the item I pressed edit on, it opens the edit page for a totally different item.i have to then cancel edit and try again. Then I’m fine.

• iHass
    iHass
    Community Member
    Options

When I attempt to edit a recently created item, instead of taking me to the edit page of the item I pressed edit on, it opens the edit page for a totally different item. Have to cancel the edit and try again. Second attempt works normal.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@shahryarali and @iHass

I'm sorry that you're still seeing the issue. Our developers are currently investigating, to help the investigation would you be willing to send in a screen recording of yourselves reproducing the issue? You can find instructions on how to produce a screen recording here:

Make sure that the screen recording doesn't contain anything sensitive and don't post it to the forum, I can send you a secure upload link to use. When the recording is ready please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com and include a link to this thread.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and send you the secure upload link.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#28720
    ref: dev/core/core#28645

• shahryarali
    shahryarali
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I tried the method you suggested, and so far the problem has not recurred, so thank you!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@shahryarali

I'm happy that the steps helped. If the issues returns then please let me know.

-Dave