Export file vault with encryption

Options
webregnet
webregnet
Community Member
edited March 5 in Mac

Hi,

UPX format is not encrypted. Could you add an encrypted format, it will be safer to store exported files, like there was with standalone 1password.

Cheers

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.6.4
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2
    Options

@webregnet

Correct 1PUX = 1Password Unencrypted Export. I'd be happy to pass along your request to the team. The standard precautions apply at this time. Those being:

⚠️ * Exported or Printed files 🖨 are not encrypted. They are stored in plain text. Anyone with access to your exported data files will be able to read your passwords. Do not email the files or store them online. Delete them when you are done with them.

ref: PB-38512212

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    edited March 5
    Options

Encrypted export should be the first choice by default, using the previously requested mandatory password, as it was done with the stand-alone application. Many users fail to understand the very serious security implications of unencrypted export, both for storage and for sending as an attachment.

It should be up to you to take the lead by implicitly encouraging a secure export operation.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@webregnet

Thanks for the reply. I agree that unencrypted exports need to be treated carefully. It's why 1Password always display the following message in the app when an export is triggered:

Make sure to save unencrypted files in a safe location. Anyone who has access to the file will be able to see the information in it.

Exports are designed to be used when moving your items from 1Password to another password manager, they're not designed to be used for sharing your vault with someone else. If you'd like to share items or a vault with another person then you can use 1Password's secure item and vault sharing options:

Were there other reasons why you wanted to see an encrypted export be built for 1Password 8? I can pass along your use case to the team. 🙂

-Dave

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    edited March 5
    Options

In my 1,2,3 (even much more) data backup policy, you are #3. This is on my own to do #1 and #2, which is why I regularly export.

Everyone should do that. The point is not to trust that you will be able to restore data or not in case of disaster on your side. It would be irresponsible of me to think that this could not happen, even for a short time.

It can also happen that an information field is inadvertently deleted and it's too late to realize it.
    I've seen this happen several times in my professional and private life.
    It's not always a question of a login password that can be reset; it can be much more serious.
    That's what backups are for.

People are far too confident in technology that they don't always understand, and don't realize it until disaster strikes.
    Like the millions of people who have lost the photos of their entire lives forever, for lack of reliable back-up, since film no longer exists and there is only one numeric copy.

Anyway, the vault synchronisation between devices is not a backup. It's a replication.

When there was the stand-alone application, it was easier. Previously modified encrypted archives vault were created stored and kept indefinitely on local folder. I used a cron task to backup them.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@webregnet

Thank you for your thoughts! I've passed your comments along to our Product team so that they're aware that you'd like to see an encrypted export added to 1Password in the future.

For the time being, if you accidentally delete or edit an item, you can always restore a previous version using 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

Your encrypted data is replicated to redundant copies on our end to guard against any data loss. And even if our servers were to disappear tomorrow, your data would still be available locally on all of your devices where you're using the 1Password app.

-Dave