Errors editing a password with 1Password for Mac v8.10.27

Options
BSDjunkie
BSDjunkie
Community Member

Hello everybody!

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues when editing a password in 1Password for Mac? I have version 8.10.27 and am using a M1 Mac Studio with the latest version of MacOS (14.3.1).

Here are a couple of my issues:

1.) - Every time I go to edit a password, it skips to the next account and edits that one instead of the one selected when I click on the 'edit' button in the upper right.

2.) - Once editing the correct account, I click in the password field and select "change password", but it does not change the password! Also there are no sliders for password length nor for special characters, etc.

I have tried restarting my computer and 1Password.app to no avail.

Best regards,

Mark

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: MacOS 14.3.1
Browser: Safari 17.3.1

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @BSDjunkie! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into issues when editing items and passwords using 1Password. I'm not immediately able to reproduce the same issue, so that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. Are you clicking on the item and clicking Edit from the desktop app? Or from the browser extension?
    2. When I edit an item and click on the password field I see "Create a New Password" not "change password", can you confirm the wording of what you're seeing? If you do see "change password" can you post a screenshot with your reply?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• BSDjunkie
    BSDjunkie
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave,

I am attaching a screen capture (with username and password masked out) of the issue. Whenever I click on 'Edit' in the 1Password for Mac app, I get the button below to change it, but none of the 1Password password length and complexity sliders. It does NOT change the password. Had to log into the website with my account and change it online before it would even work. Not sure what is happening here.

Thank you for your assistance!

Mark

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BSDjunkie

Thanks for the reply and for the screenshot. What happens when you click on the "Create a New Password" button? You should see this:

If you don't see this, and clicking on the button does nothing, then can you try these steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Applications folder.

Then try to edit the item again and click on the "Create a New Password" button. If that still doesn't work then let me now.

-Dave

• BSDjunkie
    BSDjunkie
    Community Member
    Options

I do not see the slider controls when I click on the “Create New Password” button. Have also tried removing and reinstalling (rebooting in between) the app and Safari extension. Will try starting the app from the Applications folder! That is a good one to try! Will let you know the results. Thank you thank you thank you! 😊

• BSDjunkie
    BSDjunkie
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I tried it again from the /Applications folder and the same behavior is noticed.

This time I made a screen capture of the event. Notice on the left side of the 1Password app how it collapses the menu structure when certain buttons are pressed.

Mark

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f4Iv-iQuiACOisL_kr-gc05w

Hope this works!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BSDjunkie

Thank you for the screen recording, that's very helpful. It looks like you might be running into a known issue that our developers are working on a fix for. Can you try the following to workaround the issue:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Appearance.
    5. Turn off "Tags" under Always Show in Sidebar.

Are you able to change the password now?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#28117

• BSDjunkie
    BSDjunkie
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave!

Thank you!! That worked! I can now change and update passwords in 1Password!

No worries about the tags!

Thank you again for the excellent help!

Best regards,

Mark

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BSDjunkie

I'm happy that those steps help workaround the issue. Our developers are working on a permanent fix which we hope to release in a future update to 1Password. I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    edited March 21
    Options

@BSDjunkie

Our developers have released an update to 1Password that includes a fix for an issue where using certain tags could result in visual issues or cause the app to become unresponsive. Please update to 1Password for Mac version 8.10.28:

Thank you for your patience while our developers worked to resolve the issue. If you've previously turned tags off in your sidebar as a workaround, you can turn them back on after updating:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Appearance.
    5. Check "Tags" under the Always show in Sidebar section.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave