Browser windows randomly jumping into focus

Options
llamafilm
llamafilm
Community Member
edited March 19 in Mac

I have a weird problem, it's hard to explain. Sometimes a window that's in the background will suddenly jump into focus, as if I had pressed Cmd+Tab. This seems to happen just before or after I unlock the 1password vault. Does this happen to anyone else?
I'm using the 1password extension in Safari and Chrome, and also the desktop app.

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @llamafilm! 👋

I'm sorry that you're seeing different windows jump to the foreground, are the windows always either your browser or 1Password itself? Or are they sometimes other apps?

Can you tell me a little more about why you suspect that 1Password is involved? Do you have any window management apps installed on your Mac?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• llamafilm
    llamafilm
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, exactly. The window that jumps into focus is always either the browser or 1password. It seems to always happen right before or after I unlock a vault. I can't think of any installed apps that I would describe as a window management.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@llamafilm

Thank you for the reply. So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me the following:

1. Is the browser window that gets focused always Safari? Or is it sometimes Chrome?
    2. Do you use Safari, or any other apps, in full screen mode?
    3. Do you use macOS Spaces? You can read more about the feature here: Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• llamafilm
    llamafilm
    Community Member
    Options

This happened again today. The behavior is so strange and seems random, I'm sorry I don't know how to characterize it better. I had 3 Chrome windows open. In one of them, I opened a webpage with a login form. As soon as I clicked the mouse into the username field, one of the other Chrome tabs popped into focus, which caused me to type the first letter of my username in the wrong window. Immediately after that, the 1password window jumped into focus, prompting me to enter my password to unlock the vault. After doing that, everything is back to normal.

I do use Safari and other apps in full screen mode sometimes, but I wasn't doing that just now.

I do use macOS spaces sometimes, but just now I had only 1 space on each monitor (2 monitors).

• Dave_1P
    Options

@llamafilm

Thanks for those details, they're very helpful. The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• llamafilm
    llamafilm
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, it just happened again. This time I had 4 Chrome windows open. One of them in the foreground. I clicked the 1password extension button in the toolbar of that Window in order to unlock it. As soon as I did that, all 3 other Chrome windows jumped into the foreground, obscuring other apps which I was using. (Similar to what would happen if you used Cmd+Tab to switch apps and then switch back).

I sent in the diagnostics and the ticket ID is LJC-62626-338.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@llamafilm

Thank you for posting the Support ID, your diagnostics report is with the right team and one of my colleagues will send you a reply via email as soon as they've reviewed it. Please continue the conversation there.

To prevent duplication of efforts, I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: LJC-62626-338

This discussion has been closed.