1Password moved to the Incompatible folder after updating to macOS 14.4

Options
Khuforzu
Khuforzu
Community Member
edited March 11 in Mac

I saw another question saying that 1Passwrod had broken for them using the 14.4 beta release. I'm not using beta, I upgraded to the official 14.4 release and never used the beta. When I upgraded, the upgrade process automatically moved the 1Password app to a "Relocated Items/Incompatible" folder. I tried restoring a backup copy, but when I launch it it just puts up a dialog that says "1Password isn't able to start because of a problem. Contact support@1password.com for help"

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.4
Browser: Safari

Comments

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    Options

I have an iMac running Monterey 12.x. I did the update to 12.7.4 and 1password disappeared from the Applications folder and went to /Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Incompatible. Why did that happen?

I'm not sure what version I had, but I always keep it up-to-date.

I re-downloaded it from the 1Pass site, installed it (8.10.27) and after putting in my master (not secret) password it came right up with all my stuff. Whew! Scared me to death!

1Password Version: 8.10.x
    Extension Version: 2.21.0
    OS Version: 12.7.4
    Browser: Brave

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @acanton77 and @Khuforzu! 👋

I'm sorry that the 1Password app was moved by macOS on your Mac. You can read more about the behaviour here: If a Relocated Items folder appears on your Mac after upgrading macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Unfortunately there don't appear to be clear rules about when or why something is moved to that folder.

As @acanton77 mentioned, you can resolve the issue by downloading and reinstalling 1Password from our website: Download 1Password

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    edited March 11
    Options

I was thankful I had the subscription plan where you folks have my data safe and sound. If I had had the stand-alone (free) plan and lost all my data I would have had a heart attack! The only thing I dislike about 1Pass subscription plan is that I can NOT make the kind of PDF backup that I could on the stand-alone plan. Last time I looked it was a spreadsheet backup which my wife could never use should something happen to me.

• Khuforzu
    Khuforzu
    Community Member
    Options

Reinstalling worked for me as well. I wonder how many people are affected by this. I guess it's not everyone who upgrades to 14.4 but at least it wasn't just me.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@acanton77

Thanks for the reply. I've replied to your comments regarding export to PDF in the other thread that you posted in. Let's continue the conversation there.

@Khuforzu

I'm happy that reinstalling 1Password resolved the issue. I didn't run into the same situation myself on either my work or personal Mac after updating to macOS 14.4 but the team will monitor the situation.

-Dave