Sharing from 1Password 7 to 1Password 8 doesn't seem to work

Options
snozdop
snozdop
Community Member

I just tried sharing a 1Password website login via email from the latest version of 1Password 7 to the current nightly of 1Password 8. It creates an email containing a link to tap starting:

onepassword://share/1?d={long encoded string}

which when clicked, opens 1Password 8, but doesn't add anything. I know that sharing from 1Password 8 has changed significantly but is sharing from 1Password 7 to 1Password 8 supposed to work?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.30 (81030034)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @snozdop! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. That's an old style of share link that is no longer supported or used in 1Password 8 and was replaced with a new secure (and encrypted) item sharing feature for 1Password memberships: Securely share 1Password items with anyone

I recommend using the new, and more secure, share links going forward. That being said, you can still generate the old-style link if you're still using an old standalone vault in 1Password 7 and the link can still be opened by other users using 1Password 7.

I can see how the current behaviour when opening one of these old links is confusing. Personally I would expect to see 1Password 8 generate an error message letting folks know that the link can't be opened. I've filed an internal issue to have the team look into this further. I'm sorry for the confusion.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#28992

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P for the explanation. So I guess there's no quick and easy way to share a login between an old Mac running 1Password 7 (with a standalone vault) and a new Mac running 1Password 8?

I just needed a way to move a login from a work Mac (where my boss hasn't upgraded to 1PW8 yet) to my personal Mac which is running 1PW8.

Cheers!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@snozdop

The most secure way to move the login would be to add your 1Password account to 1Password 7 and then move the items over to your account before removing it. But I know that this isn't always possible, or desirable, on a work Mac.

Alternatively, you can export the login to a CSV file. The file will be unencrypted (but equivalent to the unencrypted old sharing link that you wanted to use) so make sure that you send it via a secure channel and delete the file after you import it into 1Password 8.

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I can't add my account to 1PW7 at work, so in the end I copied it manually. Thanks though!

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm glad that you found a path forward. 🙂

-Dave